Tomato 'Kootenai'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Kootenai

Potato Leaf

Priest River, Idaho

Butte, Montana

On Apr 18, 2013, jetlag4 from McBride, British Columbia

The Kootenai I've grown every year since 2008 has a regular leaf with 2 to 3" beefsteak type of tomatoes. It does well in cool areas. The plant is stocky and has been relatively free from disease. The tomato flavour is good, not too sweet. Theses tomatoes are popular with my friends who keep asking for the "extra" plants I've germinated in the spring.

On Mar 30, 2010, Chamoisee from Priest River, ID wrote:

have grown this tomato nearly every year in northern Idaho, for the past 10-15 years, because it is the only tomato I can really count on in our climate, with late frosts, cool nights, and a short season. One year all the tomatoes got frosted down to the ground in late spring. The Kootenai plants grew back from the stumps and still produced before the replacements of the others! The plants are short, sturdy, healthy dark green, and bear well compared to other short season varieties. I didn't have any issues with the taste...they are not a Brandywine, but better than store tomatoes by far. IME, Stupice, Siletz, Sandpoint, and even Oregon Spring do not compare to Kootenai; it bears more heavily and reliably, and very early.

On May 1, 2004, gman500 from Manteca, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Extremely juicy golf ball sized fruit with a very thin skin.
Unfortunately, it is the worst tasting tomato I have ever grown. The plants are beautiful. Barely 2' tall with dark green foliage shaped like a pine tree. My suggestion, remove any fruit sets and keep it as a decorative plant.