Common Lilac, French Lilac 'Krasavitsa Moskvy'

Syringa vulgaris

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syringa (si-RING-gah) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Krasavitsa Moskvy
Additional cultivar information:(aka Beauty of Moscow)

Flowers are good for cutting

Pale Pink

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By grafting

By simple layering

Ozone, Arkansas

Temecula, California

Colorado Springs, Colorado (2 reports)

Grand Junction, Colorado

Chester, South Carolina

Mc Kinney, Texas

East Port Orchard, Washington

On Dec 23, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've always though of this as one of the best of cultivars of common lilac. Buds are dusty rose, and the large double flowers open attractively tinged with this color as well, aging to white. Flower clusters are large as well.

This is singled out by Jack Alexander (chief propagator for the Arnold Arboretum and its famous lilac collection) as one of the best of the "white" lilacs.

Like other common lilacs, this will not flower or indefinitely survive where the climate does not allow sufficient cold dormancy. Its southern limit is roughly Z7.

On Mar 12, 2012, Rowantree9 from Lowry Crossing, TX wrote:

Moving to north Texas ( McKinney) 8 years ago from MA I stupidly ordered my favorite plants via catalogue because I could not find them
Locally. The Beauty of Moscow lilac was put in a amended spot near large trees on the north east corner of my house. It's now 8 years and I've got over 12 blooms. I know that's not much for a lilac but I cherish those flowers every year. It would probably give more blooms if there was a bit more sun for it. But I don't dare trim too much for fear of the terrible sun/ heat. As its grown taller the blooms are getting better since I guess the top of it is getting the most hours of sun. I may add some mulched pine needles to
See if a bit lower PH in our super alk. Soil might help
It get more of what it needs. Im careful not to over water ... read more

On Jun 21, 2011, cloverlymd from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

Enormous panicles of tightly doubled flowers, somewhat stingily produced. Big and sometimes ungainly plant. I find that oftentimes the flowers suffer some sort of rain damage. Scented enough but nothing to write home about compared to other lilacs.

On May 19, 2011, CanyonRoad from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I purchased my plant by mail order from Wayside Gardens seven years ago. It flowered in the second year, and every year since. The flower clusters are exquisitely beautiful, large and very fragrant. The double white florets open from pink buds. The plant is a rather slow grower, sparsely foliaged, tall and lanky. The flower clusters are not borne in great numbers for me, but are so lovely that it doesn't matter. I look forward eagerly to seeing them every year.

On Mar 14, 2011, msbeekeeper from sherwood park, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

I live in Northern Alberta where it goes down to -40 most winters. No die back and blooms every year. Got it totally bare root and it bloomed the first year and has never missed in the last 15 years+. About 6-7 ft tall. Love it!!

On Jul 28, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

The flowers on this lilac are lovely, but I, too, am wondering when this plant will grow. Only 2 ft tall after 5 years.

On May 25, 2008, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

In my opinion this is one of the most beautiful lilacs. Double white flowers opening from lilac pink buds gives a very nice effect. It is a rather tall and open shrub. It does not seem to sucker as much as most lilacs.

On Apr 24, 2008, WInovice from Hudson, WI wrote:

I planted two of these in west central Wisconsin (4b) about 3 years ago. I just checked and they have leaf buds (LATE srping here) and are looking healthy, but they have not grown much...are only about 2 feet tall and have only one stem each.

How long should I expect it will take for them to do some major growing? Is there something I should do to encourage more stems? Fertilize?