PlantFiles: Crinum Lily
Crinum procerum 'Splendens'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: procerum (PRO-ker-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Splendens

Thumbnail #3 of Crinum procerum by palmbob

By rosemarysims
Thumbnail #4 of Crinum procerum by rosemarysims

Positive MikeyToo On Jun 13, 2010, MikeyToo from Cypress, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I notice the color description of the flower above says "white" but my flower as well as several other flowers I have seen are more of a light Burgundy in color with a darker Burgundy on the edges/underside.

Positive rosemarysims On Jun 25, 2006, rosemarysims from Mermentau, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the most dramatic, easy and tolerant garden plants I know. It's a wonderful focal point. I saw an enormous specimen of this plant in coastal SC that was at least 10' tall and almost as wide. Under salty dry conditions as I grow it, the leaves tend to discolor and it grows more slowly. But still it blooms like a maniac from dark purple sheathed stalks, many times multiple heads appearing at a time. The best specimen I saw locally was N of Houston under acid conditions. In a stunning combination, it was growing with an amber Noisette rose. The plant was at least 8' tall.

It is hardy where the ground does not freeze and quickly recovers if we have a hard frost. Don't cut off the frosted leaves even if its unsightlyness bugs you as it will protect the plant from further frost damage.

Cypress, California