Black Raspberry

Rubus leucodermis

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Species: leucodermis (loo-koh-DER-miss) (Info)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Oak Forest, Illinois

Blissfield, Michigan

Ypsilanti, Michigan

Saint Paul, Minnesota

Olympia, Washington

On Mar 29, 2015, buggzter from Ypsilanti, MI wrote:

Our raspberry plant was on the property when we moved in nearly 3 years ago, and was huge from the two years the property was abandoned (inside a large housing complex, no less!). My dad and I started chopping it down before I realized what it was (this was September 2012), so about half the bush survived our hacking.

The canes DO droop down and root if you let them, so we do happen to have about 8' of fence covered with the briars and some plants about 3' out from the fence. I am slowly working it back, though.

The plant is VERY thorny, but the berry is so very sweet/tart no matter how tiny the fruit can be. Being a wild-type raspberry, I'm willing to deal with the smaller yields. It gets about 6 hours of sun a day in my yard, is in mostly clay soils, and se... read more

On Jun 9, 2005, MN_Darren from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I'm in zone 4b and have had good results with this plant, and it has survived some really harsh winters (-35, and -20 with no snow cover, and I've never mulched it). Generally the last few, slender feet of each cane will not revive after winter, but when they're 8-12 feet long, who cares? I love to eat raspberries, but they're kind of a pain to keep. The main positive feature of the black raspberry is that if you prevent the canes from touching the ground and the berries from just falling and reseeding, it's very easy to control this one. It does not spread underground like the red ones I had briefly. In an urban lot it's not a good idea to plant ones that spread by rhizomes. The black raspberry sends up new, rapidly growing canes from the crown each summer that harden over the winter... read more

On Dec 31, 2004, rubus from vancouver

The western black raspberry is extremely thorny. Extremely! It's fruits have a distinctive but inferior flavour to the eastern types. I have a few plants growing as a novelty but do not recommend them to gardeners. They are attractive but are definitely inferior in flavour to the eastern varieties. They are also much more difficult to handle. If you really want to grow them then be advised that they need to be pruned vigourously to get acceptible berry size. They do not need full sun, half a day of sunshine is adequate. They should not be allowed to dry out as they generally seem to grow at the edges of the forest in some shade. I am in Vancouver, B. C. which has the same climate as Seattle.