Thimbleberry
Rubus parviflorus

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Species: parviflorus (par-VEE-flor-us) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Artondale, Washington

Woodinville, Washington

Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin

On Sep 10, 2014, lejardin24 from Hermitage, PA wrote:

This is a delightful, 'gentle-natured' plant that grows happily as an understory at the southern edge of our woodlands. I had planted it as part of my shade garden, and then ignored it for the last 4 years. The soil is well drained, more dry than moist, and quite acidic. I planted it four years ago as part of my shade garden, and then ignored it ever since. Thimbleberry has been slow to spread, about 12-18 inches high, with large, maple-like leaves in a lovely green color. It appears to be fairly disease resistant also. It makes for a very attractive ground cover, and I plan to transplant it to some other areas.

On May 31, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

These are native to the northwest. They are moderately invasive but highly adaptable and good for less cultivated parts of the garden, or as a large (4 ft) ground cover between shrubs. I like their big soft, light green leaves, white flowers, and the little tasty red fruits.

On Mar 23, 2007, KARMARIDER from Covington, KY wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants for woodland borders. A natual transition plat between woods and grassland. Semi woody shrub grows to a height of four feet. Carefree once established. Hard to transplant as it sends up new plants via runners but could be grown from seed though not easy. I have heard many people say the fruit is flavorless, but it seems the further east you go the better the flavor. Also the white flowering version is tastier than the lavender flower variety. I first tasted the fruit in northen Wisconsin and found it quite good. Sort of a cross between raspberry and watermelon flavor. Berries average the size of a quarter and are exclellent for jellies but rather seedy for jams, same form as a raspberry but not as firm. Leaves are large (6 to 8 inches across) and lo... read more

On Sep 28, 2005, Scorpioangel from Gold Hill, OR (Zone 7a) wrote:

a native shrub in So. Oregon. Can be found along roadsides and disturbed places.