Radish
Raphanus sativus 'White Icicle'

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Raphanus (RAF-an-us) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: White Icicle

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Gaylesville, Alabama

Winston Salem, North Carolina

Radford, Virginia

Troy, Virginia

On Jan 19, 2012, petronius_ii from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

Has there ever been an easier vegetable to grow than White Icicle radish? I think not! For fresh eating, I suppose the only better radish to my taste is China Rose, but White Icicle and German Giant come close.

Also worth noting is that radishes make good companion plants to almost everything in your garden, besides being fast sprouters that make good row markers for slower-sprouting crops such as carrots, beets, onion, etc. Just put in a couple of radish seeds every tenth planting hole or so, and as soon as they sprout, you know that's where your row is. And though I like to plant lots of different radishes, I've never found one more reliable than White Icicle.

On May 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is an old cultivar that looks very much like a white carrot. It takes a bout a month to mature and tolerates heat better than most. It is pungent tho. I am not a radish lover but always grew a few of these when I was a kid.