PlantFiles: Achuma, Aguacolla, Gigantón, Huachuma, San Pedro Cactus
Echinopsis pachanoi

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinopsis (ek-in-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: pachanoi (puh-KAH-no-ee) (Info)

Synonym:Trichocereus pachanoi
Synonym:Cereus pachanoi

Cactus and Succulents

USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)
USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)
USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)
USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By RWhiz

By tyler70006
Thumbnail #6 of Echinopsis pachanoi by tyler70006

By rh3708
Thumbnail #7 of Echinopsis pachanoi by rh3708

Positive martenfisher On Dec 2, 2013, martenfisher from Crystal River, FL wrote:

Would be nice to see less information about these being psychoactive. We get the point already. I want to see more cultivars being produced for bloom yield than mescaline yield. This wonderful plant is a great beginner cactus and landscape plant. I think most plants are lost from rich soil and over fertilizing creating a more tender sensitive plant. It needs the alkaloids for defense and plants that are soft and babied will rot or fall over. I find these at lowes and Home Depot every spring or summer.

Positive succulentlab On Mar 29, 2011, succulentlab from Fresno, CA wrote:

I absolutely love this plant! This is the species of cactus that first got me into succulents. Grows extremely well in central valley CA. I have one specimen that grew over 24" in a single season... WOW!

Positive MelisandeLuna On Sep 3, 2009, MelisandeLuna from Birmingham, AL wrote:

I've been growing these for years out in Bakersfield, California. I dragged one to New Orleans with me and left most of it at a friend's house, I took a piece with me to Alabama, but the cold killed it (sub zero). I just recently bought one from a vendor in California, I think I'll have to bring it inside to over-winter so I don't lose it again.

Positive homerplant On Aug 2, 2009, homerplant from Lecompton, KS wrote:

People don't realize how cool and amazing this plant really is. If a piece were to break off and fall under cover or just can't find light for some reason. It will send a little, skinny, usually white in color, piece to find the sun. Once the sun is found. That is where it starts to green up and become plump.
I have to put them away for the winter here in Kansas. 5 months later, I open up the box and they will still grow and search. No water no light. In the spring if the white shoot is too long and can't support itself. I cut it off. You can cut any Pachanoi and it will grow pups. As long as you have 3 - 6 inches they will grow. Let the half that will be put back in the ground to callus over before planting. This takes 3 or 4 days depending on the humidity. The part that is still in the ground will be the pup producer. Try to cut at a slight angle so rain water will not puddle. Before long you will have a forest. The only way to really kill a Pachanoi is over caring for it. Just let it get full light. A skinny Pedro is not getting enough light. Note: Black spots are not bad unless it becomes soft and mushy. Cut that out IMMEDIATELY! That will spread and ruin a plant if not taken care of. The scar will sometime produce pups. See, it is always trying to make it. No matter what gets thrown its way.
Try laying one on its side. Then watch the pups. Have fun.

Positive superpepper On Jul 3, 2008, superpepper from Lauderhill, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I found this cactus abandoned and took it home. In the 3 or so months I have had it, it has grown several inches and developed several flower buds. Probably one of the easiest and most attractive cactus I have grown.

Positive promethean_spar On Oct 10, 2006, promethean_spar from Union City, CA wrote:

When I bought my house in Fremont, CA, one of these was abandoned out front in a 3g pot. I just left it where it was and watered it during the summer and it grew about a foot and added a new arm from the base. It appears to have flower buds right now, unfortunately they're supposed to be self-sterile so I doubt I'll get seed.

I got seed for a few other hardy species of it's genus and hopefully will have a row of tall cacti in a few years.

Positive slimmy On Nov 16, 2005, slimmy from Lisboa
Portugal wrote:

I'm growing this cactus for about 2 months from seeds, and I think that they are doing fine. It's almost winter here in Portugal, lots of rain and pretty cold, but they look like tiny candies, fat, bright and succulent. I'm enjoying it. regards

Positive Hekate On Mar 26, 2005, Hekate from (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is the only cactus I own and so far I rather like it. In the spring it will put out a bud which will become another long cactus spike. They get very tall and heavy so it's important to make sure the plant doesn't go through a stressed period that will create weak parts which will cause toppling later on. I have never seen mine flower, but that is likely due to my own inexperience.

Neutral Xenomorf On Jan 23, 2005, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Flowers are white, fragrant and nocturnal (another night blooming cereus).
The people of Tarahumara and Seri of Mexico have long used this plant for medicinal purposes, one being, the essence is applied to the scalp to prevent baldness.

Positive rh3708 On Dec 30, 2004, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

It is a fast growing cactus I have it growing in a large pot of Peace lily's.
I would like to set it out in the yard but haven't found just the right spot yet.

Positive tyler70006 On Jun 21, 2004, tyler70006 from New Orleans, LA wrote:

This is the easiest and fastest growing cactus I've owned. Grows about a foot a season and will tolerate a lot of rain without rot. We have very hot summers in New Orleans and this cactus loves the heat. Will die and become a cactus shaped ice cube in a freeze. I use ordinary potting soil and fertilizer.

Grenoble,
Birmingham, Alabama
Gilbert, Arizona
Green Valley, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)
Alpine, California
Ventura, California
Crystal River, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Kenner, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Henderson, Nevada