PlantFiles: Carolina Modiola, Carolina Bristle-mallow, Creeping Mallow, Red-flowered Mallow
Modiola caroliniana

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Modiola (mo-DY-oh-la) (Info)
Species: caroliniana (kair-oh-lin-ee-AN-uh) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

By htop
Thumbnail #6 of Modiola caroliniana by htop

Thumbnail #7 of Modiola caroliniana by kennedyh

Positive PamHou On Jun 11, 2014, PamHou from Houston, TX wrote:

A weed is anything you don't want. St Augustine grass is a weed, when it's growing where you don't want it.

I think this is a pretty little plant. In my experience, it's not the least bit invasive (Houston, Texas) but is found scattered in limited numbers throughout pastureland. Want to plant it in an area currently growing only grassburs and nutgrass.

Negative D3VNT On Apr 21, 2012, D3VNT from Round Rock, TX wrote:

It's a WEED, pure and simple. Finally ID-ed it today, and shocked to see Dave's has it listed.

Positive victorengel On Mar 30, 2012, victorengel from Austin, TX wrote:

There are a couple of orange wildflowers that I've seen growing around work and public places, and I've always wondered what they were. I really do like them. It seems that I finally have an ID. Yeah!

I really like this little plant. I can't comment on its weedy tendency. A weed is something you don't want. If this were growing in my yard, I'd want it. For now, though, I'll just enjoy seeing it growing around town.

Positive pegscam On Sep 10, 2007, pegscam from Amsterdam
Netherlands wrote:

I've been growing this - or something very like it - for a few years in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. I'm curious for more information because I see that it's mostly regarded as a weed with VERY small flowers wheras the flowers on mine are about 1.5inches (3cm) across and it's been making a very pretty show which I've enjoyed all this summer from late May to late August. The first garden I tried it in was too wet, but it loves the sunny border it's in at the moment. I can see it could be invasive, but for a dry border where it has no opportunity to roam far I'd say it's a winner. I'll be trying it in a similar border - dryish and sunny against a S facing wall in Northumberland (UK) next summer. Any idea why my flowers are so big? Is it a different variety?

Negative TrixieM On Apr 30, 2006, TrixieM from Mc Call Creek, MS wrote:

This plant grows wild on our property in fairly nutrient depleted soils. It grows rapidly and spreads in all directions. Each arm grows roots and establishes new plants. Roundup will kill off the top part of it, but it has so many underground parts, it does not get it all. It also drops seeds from the dried out flowers.

If someone offers you this plant, RUN! It is EXTREMELY invasive.

Toney, Alabama