Allamanda
Allamanda 'Cherries Jubilee'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Allamanda (al-uh-MAN-da) (Info)
Cultivar: Cherries Jubilee

Violet/Lavender

Blooms all year

Provides winter interest

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From hardwood cuttings

By simple layering

Bartow, Florida (2 reports)

Brooksville, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Odessa, Florida

Port Richey, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)

Tampa, Florida

Rockport, Texas

Christiansted, Virgin Islands

negative

On Dec 23, 2012, morningloree from Heathrow, FL wrote:

In my zone 9b yard, it usually loses it's leaves for temperatures 35 degrees and below, but comes back faithfully year after year. Beautiful dusky pink flowers, with a loose rangy habit, looks good growing with other plants like Pride of Barbados and Copperleaf.

On Oct 19, 2008, onalee from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very easy to grow from seed, but do need warm temperatures for germination. I planted seeds on 3/20 (no heat or anything), they didn't sprout until May 6th, but I'm sure they would germinate faster if temperatures were warm. I got 100% germination on them, even after being planted all that time. They bloomed in Mid October, so about 5 months from germination. One of the plants is over 4' tall, the other around 3' (I gave the rest away!).

On Mar 6, 2008, LAKelley2 from Titusville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've had this plant for over a year now and it is one of my absolute favorite flowering plants! It is absolutely beautiful and bloomed all winter long here in Titusville, FL. I will never get rid of this plant.... in fact, I'll be trying to root some cuttings this spring so I can have more plants. I purchased it at Lowes but it is not a plant they normally carry. I just got lucky and happened to "shopping" when they got an unusual shipment in.

On Sep 8, 2007, jlmc from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

After buying my Cherries Jubilee I went on line to check it out to make sure that I planted and cared for it correctly and found that the entire plant is 100 % poisonous to people and animals. We have dogs, so we fenced it off to keep our dogs safe and to keep our grandchildren away from it. When ever we work on it we wear disposible gloves. My neighbor would like to have the same plant but we are unsure how to grow it from a cutting (and yes we told hime its downfall). Will a cutting grow in water only or in wet sand and do you need a rooting compound? I would like to know how I can do this. We have taken cuttings and stuck them in sand and the rooted quickly, I also found they get seed pods that can be harvested and planted. I have also been told that the plant is not poisonous, ... read more

On Jul 23, 2006, aprilwillis from Missouri City, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful large flowers that last a few days; easy growing, very undemanding plant.

On Jun 18, 2005, rplingaltx from Galveston, TX wrote:

I am familair with many types of allamanda, but until today, had not seen this variety. I found it at a nursery in League City, TX and bought a small one. I hope it is as vigorous a grower as everyone says it is. I planted it in full sun on a fence. Beauitufl flowers...sort of an antique rose color. Woohoo!

On Mar 26, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I took several tries to grow from cuttings. Once it took, it became a vigorous grower. It can and should be trained to grow in a specific manor otherwise it can quickly get out of control. Beautiful trumpet shaped flowers about 5-6" wide and 3-4" long that last two or three days. Clusters of flowers will weigh down a branch causing it to droop (hence training.) I suggest an arbor, fence or lattice.
Art

On Aug 26, 2004, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wonderfully easy to grow. Planted here in N. Tx in the north-facing end of my garden, leaning up against a wooden fence. Loves the sun, gets a bit of late afternoon shade, and only wilts slightly on an especially hot (90's) day. Also makes a nice cut flower for a natural arrangement. This plant is amongst my favorites.