Peace Lily
Spathiphyllum cannifolium

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spathiphyllum (spath-ee-FIL-um) (Info)
Species: cannifolium (kan-ni-FOH-lee-um) (Info)

Herbs

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Jones, Alabama

Hollywood, Florida (2 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Honomu, Hawaii

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Tyler, Texas

On Oct 28, 2009, georgiemc from redcliffe
Australia wrote:

hi,I brought this plant down from another property we had up north (gympie), and transplanted it here in my garden at Rothwell, I thought it wasn't growing too well, so transplanted it again in another area, it loves the position it's now in, and is flowering, so i can safely say flowering in October, here in Queensland Australia, it is now growing so profusely, that i will have to start thinking of splitting it up, any thoughts???? it produced 1 flower, and there is another 4 ready to open, this doesn't seem to be happening, as the first flower was over a week ago, hope this will help others, and if i successfully manage to split the plant up, i will let you know,, thanks for this site
georgie

On Feb 13, 2009, saanka from Freudenstadt
Germany wrote:

Wonderfull smelling plants of Spathiphyllum cannifolium are growing in the Victoria-Warmhouse of the University-Botanical-Gardens of Basel/Swizzera ([HYPERLINK@pages.unibas.ch]). The flowers smell like clove (Syzygium aromaticum). I am surching for some Bulbs for my warmhouse in Freudenstadt/Blackforest (Thomas Esche, saanka@web.de)

On Nov 6, 2007, leafshaker from Buzzards Bay, MA wrote:

I got this plant as a present, and it survived for a while as a nice houseplant with unique flowers. I have heard of people having difficulty getting these to flower, does anyone have a solution?

On Jun 28, 2006, llmeangreen from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

Planted about 3 mos. ago. They grow great here outside in St. Petersburg, FL. I have mine in dappled sun/shade ~ mainly shade. I keep them watered frequently and are/have blooming beyond belief (constantly)! I am growing the variated variety, with the white touched leaves. I expect them to grow between 2-4 feet, some of them are already there. I did not know they are poisonous, glad they're out front. Enjoy this plant, it's quite beautiful!

On Sep 20, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was given one as a present about 6 years ago in Southern California, everyone would comment on it's size, I'd like to find one here again,

On May 8, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

In my opinion, this is the best Peace Lily. It has large leaves that make the foliage alone something remarkable in a shaded garden. The flowers are white, larger than other Peace Lilies, with a heavenly smell that will persist for a few days (the flowers are good to cut, but if you are cultivating it as a home plant, it isnīt necessary). It tends to send out new flowers all the time during spring/summer, so you may have this perfume around for a very long time. When fertilized, the bract turns green, and if you keep it on the plant, it may cause a delay on the production of new flowers.

I have this Peace Lily for several years, and, observing how it reacted to all the situations, I learned a few things about this. It will not tolerate direct sun light, the leaves burn, and ... read more