French Lavender (UK), Spanish Lavender (US) 'Otto Quast'

Lavandula stoechas

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lavandula (lav-AN-dew-lah) (Info)
Species: stoechas (STOW-kass) (Info)
Cultivar: Otto Quast
Additional cultivar information:(aka Otto Quasti)

Blooms all year

Clinton, Washington

Grand Mound, Washington

Morgantown, West Virginia

On Jul 4, 2009, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Spanish Lavender 'Otto Quast" is quite a bit smaller than the Lavandula dentata and a hybrid that I have that is culinary. However, the flowers are so beautiful. Also, it seems to tolerate more water than my other lavenders. I am keeping this plant in my garden as long as I can.

On May 27, 2008, pamsaplantin from Morgantown, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

I believe Otto Quast is hardier than indicated above. I planted it last summer here in zone 6a. It was in a totally exposed area (very windy) & had only about 1" of mulch around the plant. It overwintered just fine & is starting to bloom now.

On Mar 21, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

I was given this seed by a fellow in England. I did not expect much but the seeds came up and were potted. They survived the flooding and 3 hurricanes of last year and are nice looking plants now. I love to brush the foliage and enjoy the scent. Maybe I can hope for blooms this year.

On Mar 20, 2005, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow this in a pot with Lavandula multifida (French Lace Lavender) and while the French Lace rarely survives the winter, the Spanish Lavender stays evergreen. I highly recommend it for its beauty, I find it MUCH more interesting then the French Lace, but I notice that the hummingbirds and carpenter bees are not really interested in it like they are the French Lace.

On Feb 22, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Considered the most unusual of the Lavenders, Dark purple flowers with long pinkish petals. Earlier blooming than others. Hardy, easy care. Masses of vibraant color with a heady aroma. Thrives in almost any soil, including dense clay. Larger flower than var. pedunculata. I planted mine 1 1/2 year ago, has no bloomed yet, getting bushy, waiting for summer, Annie

On May 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Origin: Mediterranean - The flowers of this lavender are not recommended for human consumption.