Showy Stonecrop 'Autumn Fire'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) (Info)
Cultivar: Autumn Fire

Beverly, West Virginia

Weston, West Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 24, 2015, nutsaboutnature from Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought two 'Autumn Fire' Sedums on a whim a few years ago during autumn. They were already blooming and I fell in love with the color.

I planted them in two different places to see if they preferred one over the other. Even though one bed has more sun than the other, they seem to thrive in both locations.

Last year the House Finches took a liking to the leaves and started nibbling on the plant that is more out in the open. This year they've started to nibble on the buds as well. I think I may have to buy some bird netting before they eat the whole thing!
I have two bird baths that I refill with fresh water daily so it isn't a thirst thing. I think they must just like the taste.

Even so, I still love these Sedums. I leave them standi... read more

On May 15, 2011, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

Mine are easy to tell apart from 'Autumn Joy'. 'Autumn Joy' has plain green leaves. 'Autumn Fire' leaves are much darker with a purple or brown edging. No extra care or water is needed for these plants, if I didn't want to. I water once every week and a half to two weeks in the summer, if we haven't had rainfall. Forms a large clump quickly from divisions.

On Feb 3, 2011, jpgreen from Roswell, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

Much more heat tolerant than 'Autumn Joy'

On Sep 7, 2010, CreativeCountry from Petersburg, IN wrote:

This is my first year growing it, but I am very impressed so far. The blooms are 5 or more inches across is very flat heads and very well shaped and tight. It is a beautiful shade oe pink, brighter and deeper than autumn joy, I think this will be a must have for tough, dependable year end color. I love sedums.

On Apr 24, 2009, montsho from Tracy, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have this plant and Autumn Joy. They are very similar and hard to tell apart until they bloom. AF has darker pink flowers and does not flop at all. AJ has light pink flowers and will flop if not cut back in the Spring.

On Sep 6, 2008, BlackDogKurt from Seymour, CT wrote:

Beautiful plant that looks great even when it is green all summer, sorta like a giant broccoli. Blooms here starting in mid-September, with pinkish to brick red blooms. Mine grow very upright, stout, and have never needed staking. Very strong grower that needs little special care.

On Apr 22, 2007, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We bought this recently, it was marked as Sedum spectabilis 'Autumn Fire'. Can't wait for it to bloom!

On Aug 1, 2005, prgardener from Park Ridge, IL wrote:

No problems growing this in the Chicago area, beautiful fall display and nice shape & color in summer - mine gets REALLY big though (up to 3') & needs support - was wondering if I could trim it to keep it smaller (dividing this year didn't help - the 'new' baby is already 2').

On May 3, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have a very small cutting I am growing for next year. I plan to add it to a planting bed I am adding around our mail box. To which I am also adding a clematis and a creepy phlox. I am hoping these will shade the roots of the clematis and let the thrive together.
May 2005

On Jan 16, 2005, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew this for the first time two years ago in a bed along with 'Autumn Joy' sedum. To be frankly honest I could tell no huge difference between the two. In fact my DH could not tell them apart.
This plant is absolutely maintenance free and does very well in our hot dry summers here in Ga. Bothered by no pests that I observed. Grows and multiplies very rapidly. It is even pretty in the spring and summer before it turns red. Everyone remarks that it looks like broccoli plants in its green stage.
Stunning in the fall. I love this plant and would recommend these types of sedums to anyone.