English Ivy, Common Ivy 'Gold Child'

Hedera helix

Family: Araliaceae
Genus: Hedera (HED-er-uh) (Info)
Species: helix (HEE-licks) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Child
Additional cultivar information:(aka GoldChild, Gold Baby)

Partial to Full Shade

By simple layering

By tip layering

By serpentine layering

Montgomery, Alabama

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Wetumpka, Alabama (2 reports)

Clayton, California

Syracuse, Utah

Richmond, Virginia

Bellingham, Washington

On Oct 5, 2012, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I received 2 plants of this in a trade 2 weeks ago and I have been very impressed ever since. I particularly do not like Ivy, but I wanted something unusual as a air filtering houseplant and I got it! It has put out at least 4 leaves per "stem" in the 2 weeks I have had them. The one that doesn't get light from anything but a hanging lamp is doing the best. Seems like cuttings would be very easy to root since there are roots on a stem that either developed when shipped or it barely touched the soil for a short period. They haven't changed my mind about not liking Ivy, but I am glad I have this one. Ivy is normally a fast grower even with total neglect and 'Gold Child' is no exception.

On Jul 11, 2012, VineWorld from Syracuse, UT (Zone 7b) wrote:

Gold Child is a wonderful cultivar of English Ivy that is one of, if not, my favorite ivy. It's beautiful gold margins and three different shades of green in the center is just perfectly set into its crown shape. It's growth is very easy to keep track of and it commands attention no matter where you put it. I highly recommend it for anyone who is considering Hendera helix for their garden.

On Sep 9, 2011, soldiersong from North Plains, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have this in a ball topiary and it brightens up a corner in front of our home. It is carefree, save occasionally attaching a new stem to the topiary form. It is in a spot where it receives about four hours of afternoon sun, and is thriving. Nice color of a difficult spot.

On Oct 17, 2008, mjolner88 from Bellingham, WA wrote:

Man, this sure is a nice looking ivy. Could it possibly grow any slower? They say ivy is associated "with the gods"...I see why - you have to be immortal to live long enough to have a lawn full of it.

On Aug 13, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Properly known as 'Goldchild' and sometimes known as 'Gold Baby.' A sturdy, reliable, and beautifully consistent ivy with bold gold margins.