Variegated Pineapple Flower, Pineapple Lily
Eucomis bicolor

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Eucomis (YOO-com-iss) (Info)
Species: bicolor (BY-kul-ur) (Info)

Bulbs

Ridgefield, Washington

On Aug 31, 2010, runwin from St. Saviour, Jersey
United Kingdom wrote:

Hi,
I planted 6 of these plants this May, and have had all six come into flower. I have been fascinated to watch the many different types of flys that the plant attracts, I did notice the plants smell and it is more of a smell than fragrance?
They are planted in an area that receives brief morning sun, then around midday receive the rest of the days sun, and they seem ok so far, but I will wait and see how they get through the winter months in this postion before fully deciding to leave them there.
I do like this plant, and look forward to it being fully mature.

On Oct 17, 2009, BLEWSEY from Florissant, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I got 2 of these bulbs in a grab bag ,had never seen them gave one to my daughter she planted in the garden it grew great, lovely flower.
It set seed and she has planted them ,I was late getting mine planted so it didn't have time to flower.I have dug it up and am potting it ,I will keep it in the basement and only water monthly ,will see what happens. I think this is a great flower for a vase ,my daughters lasted 4 weeks after being cut.

On Jun 25, 2009, Chills from Saint Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

planted it last year, saw foliage but no flower. Figured it should have been dug up but as of now (last week in June) its back!

I have it planted against the house foundation on the south side of my home. It is in an area which receives 3-6 hours of sun early in the day. I wish it could be in full sun, but that condition does not exist on that side of the house.

It has not yet bloomed for me, but it grew quite well last year and I'm hoping for a bloom this year!

Zone 6 Michigan!

On Aug 12, 2006, weatherguesser from Salinas, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The flowers are definitely unusual and quite beautiful, particularly up close. One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the smell -- I liken mine to a giant earwig. Apparently the 'sometimes foetid' smell attracts flies of various descriptions to pollinate the flowers.

Mine was ravaged by slugs last year (my first in the house) and died back completely without blooming. This year, with better protection and frequent watering, it has thrived and now has a pretty spectacular head of flowers -- it was worth the wait.

On Dec 11, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought 3 bulbs in the spring of 2000, starting them off in deep pots in a cold, shady greenhouse. They are late to grow in the season, and did not like it when the greenhouse became quite warm, the leaves drooped. I planted them in their present spot in the summer of that year, and they all flowered well. They also set seed well, and I now have many self set bulbs growing within a few feet of the plants. One flowered after 3 years. These young bulbs, in their 1st winter, went through prolonged frost to -9C, and they were very small and still growing near the surface. They will seat themselves lower with age.

They grow in quite fertile, sandy soil, and possibly get more shade than sun, the ground has been mulched with leafy compost 3 years ago, the plants are healthy ... read more

On Mar 27, 2005, Anth from Outside Cambridge, ON

Anth, from Cambridge ON.

I have had several of these wonderful bulbs in containers over the the last 3 years. They have done beautifully each and every year. In the fall I bring them in, remove them from the containers and store them in the basement over the winter. In mid May I pot them up again and out they go. I do take care to protect them should the forecast call for frost. Last fall I gathered the seed and potted them up in late January and early February. After about one month most had germinated and now I have many small bulblets growing very well. It will take about 5 years for the bulbs to reach flowering size.

On Oct 20, 2004, adri_anna from oradea
Romania wrote:

I've planted the bulbs in may in pots. I didn't had much information at that time about this flower, but their evolution is satisfactory untill now. Although I haven't put them in full sun (because I didn't know), one of them had nice blooming (but not so rich in flowers) and get dried at the beggining of september. The others two are still in the beginning of the blooming phase. They seems to grow further. I had to help the leaves because they were hanging down, so I put a stick and tied them up. I took out the bulb from the flower that get dried and let it dry. I understood that I may plant it in the spring. I like very much this flower !

On Oct 6, 2003, MissPrimrose from Lowell, MA wrote:

This plant is very unusual - it looks like pineapple, and has beautiful foliage. I grow mine in containers, which I keep in my basement each winter, watering once a month until spring.

On Sep 28, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted mine in full sun in the spring. It had a purple tinge to the leaves. Now it is all green, with not a sign of a bloom. Is this the type of plant that blooms the second year? The plant has produced more leaves, but so far no blooms.

On Aug 25, 2003, jpm38138 from Germantown, TN wrote:

Curious plant....the flowers start off looking like a small
pineapple and slowly open. They have lasted some weeks although not as strong. The leaves of the plant itself seem
to have survived our hot summer sun. Intriging plant.

On Aug 4, 2001, Baa wrote:

A bulbous perennial from South Africa, this plant is borderline hardy here in the UK so I suggest winter protection from zone 8 and below.

An interesting flower which is topped by a small tuft of leafy bracts.