Giant Rain Lily, Rainlily, Prairie Lily, Hill Country Rain Lily
Zephyranthes drummondii

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zephyranthes (ze-fi-RANTH-eez) (Info)
Species: drummondii (drum-AWN-dee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Cooperia pedunculata

Hinesville, Georgia

Trout, Louisiana

Liberty, North Carolina

Gilbert, South Carolina

Austin, Texas (4 reports)

Beaumont, Texas

Canton, Texas

Copperas Cove, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

Dripping Springs, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Ingleside, Texas

Lampasas, Texas

Mont Belvieu, Texas

On Aug 22, 2013, geraldallen from Mineral Wells, TX wrote:

I have grown only a hand full of gardens on my own! However, I have always kept a keen interest in plant growth as a whole. I saw some white rain lilies in my yard this morning and then decided to investigate ( I did not know their name and this was my 1st time seeing them in the yard. It was so many). I went out and picked one and found the smell so pleasing I had to pick some for the house. Later found that some parts of the plant is poisonous. Anyways, I found your website and found it informative.

On Mar 27, 2013, stephen43jackso from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I have grown this rain lily in San Antonio for about 5 years. I love the fact that I don't need to worry about taking care of it during my summer vacation trip. I can grow it in full sun or part shade. It grows well in my heavy clay soil. The leaves reach about one foot in heighth. During drought they may all lay down and during a prolonged drought all leaves die out as it goes dormant. Several days after a drenching rain they all seem to bloom within a three day period (some blooming a day or two before the others).
This has the largest size bulb of any rain lily I know with a diameter of 3 inches for fully grown ones as I can recall. The flowers open at sunset and stay open for 48 hours (2 days).
There is debate among botanists about whether this plant should be identif... read more

On Mar 25, 2012, realbirdlady from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Dang! This is a GIANT rain lily!

On Mar 19, 2012, trying84 from Mount Dora, FL wrote:

I have a lily that fits the descrition of the Rain Lily. We call it an African Lily. Is this the same? The only booms and plants that do well are in shade and under hugh philidenrom (sp) plants. I have some now under an oak tree in partly shade and they are not doing well at all. Do you have any suggestions as to where the best location would be? I am in Central Fl. zone 9. Thanks.
Doris

On Oct 31, 2011, victorengel from Austin, TX wrote:

In October 2011 we receive a couple of inches of rainfall after several months of no rain. Three days later, the roadsides were blanketed with rain lily flowers. In spots, fires from the drought had scorched the grass, making the rain lilies show up wonderfully. Elsewhere, they were blooming in otherwise brown vegetation. This plant faithfully and quickly blooms after rains, hence the name. Black seeds are quickly produced where the flowers were. The seeds will readily spread the plants.

On Apr 30, 2011, Get_growing from Dallas, TX wrote:

Now that I've figured out what it is...this lily was growing wild in my yard before I moved here. Grows in very hard clay soil next to concrete foundation on south side of house, so it receives a lot of afternoon sun, too. Apparently takes any amount of neglect and drought. Continues to spread, and I do nothing to it. Blooms when it feels like it, usually after rain but sometimes just cuz!

On May 30, 2010, Iceman2458 from Copperas Cove, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I first observed this plant (Cooperia pendunculata) growing on Doeskin Ranch portion of the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge in the Texas Hill Country. The open prairie was just full of white blooms in mid-May, two days later I returned to photograph a few and there was not a single bloom to be found. Certainly an intriguing little plant to those of us who are plant illiterate.

On Oct 9, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

It is correctly known as Cooperia drummondii, and not formerly known as Cooperia drummondii; because Cooperia species' are nocturnally blooming and Zephyranthes species' blooms open in the morning to mid-day. My source is Thad M. Howard who is thought of as the leading authority on native Texas bulbs and who has discovered and identified over 35 species native to Texas, Mexico, and South America.

On Sep 15, 2006, turbosbabe96 from Ingleside, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

These are so pretty! They are blooming like crazy around here! I wasnt sure what they were, so I got on here and searched around. I KNEW I would find it! I had told my hubby that I thought they were some type of Lily! Turns out I was right! Too cool! How can I get some for my yard or a container?? They are growing wild down here.

On Sep 1, 2006, indirt from Hico, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

What a lovely find growin on our land.

On Aug 5, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Giant rain lily is a Texas (mainly Central Texas, Edwards Plateau and South Texas Plains), Mexico and Louisiana native rain lily that is found in clayey or sandy soils. Giant rain lily usually reaches twelve inches in height. The leaves are slender, smooth and grass-like. It produces blooms most heavily in March and April, but can bloom sporadically through September. The white and sometimes tinged with pink on the outer surface blooms are large for a rain lily and are between 2 and 3 inches. They persist for several days. The petals and sepals are indistinguishable from each other and, together, they are called tepals. Giant rain lily has a floral tube that is one to one and a half inches long, This tube distinguishes it from Cebolleta (Cooperia drummondii) which has a longer floral tube.... read more

On Aug 4, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Formerly named Cooperia drummondii, Drummond's rain lily is, also known as evening rain lily, Cebolleta, evening-star rain-lily, drummond rain-lily and is a native wildflower in Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas (usually central and western Texas with the most concentration throughout the Trans-Pecos region). It can be found growing in clay, clay loam, medium loam, sandy loam, sandy, limestone-based, and caliche type soils.

It usually grows to a height of about 12 inches, but can reach 18 inches. The tubular, white (sometimes tinged with pink on the outer surface) flowers are borne on single floral tubes which are three to seven inches long. It is dormant most of the time. It can bloom in June, but usually blooms in late summer through ... read more

On Feb 2, 2005, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Elizabeth Lawrence, in "A Southern Garden", wrote of the prairie lily, Cooperia pedunculata, now called Zephyranthes drummondii, "They are dead white, crystalline, and very thick petaled, and they fill the night with a strange, disturbing sweetness. To me, one of the chief delights of gardening in the South is the perfumed darkness of midsummer nights."

On Dec 5, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant sends up one large, white fragrant bloom per stem that turns pinkish as it matures. Foliage is broad and grass-like with blue-green leaves. It blooms from April to May. Good drainage is required.

On Dec 5, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This flower bulb sends up a solitary flower that opens straight up or at a slight angle, blooming within a few days of summer thunderstorms. It is fairly tender to severe winter conditions. Bulbs should be planted at a depth where the "neck" is just under the soil line. Plant 2" apart. Bone meal can be added at planting time to encourage growth.

On Mar 5, 2003, mbandaka wrote:

This plant is available commercially, though the white Zephs. are difficult to distinguish sometimes, as they look very much alike. There seems to be bloom time difference that are the most distinguishing trait from bulbs from different sources. The plant I grow with this name is fragrant, very fertile and makes a good show as a pot plant. In color it is perhaps slightly ivory as compared to say Z. candida.