Natal Plum 'Boxwood Beauty'

Carissa macrocarpa

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Carissa (kar-ISS-uh) (Info)
Species: macrocarpa (ma-kro-KAR-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Boxwood Beauty

Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaii

Corpus Christi, Texas

Missouri City, Texas

On Mar 10, 2012, fla1garden from Mango, FL wrote:

Have had this plant in my yard for over 10 years . I just started to take care of it , it responded positively by growing nicely perfect leaves upright growth soon may have blooms. It will be grown as a specemine , then set in grownd . flagarden

On Feb 6, 2010, Twelve_tribes from Greenacres, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I was walking around my college campus, and I smelled a very sweet smelling fragrance, and found this plant.

I took one of the Fruits, and brought it home, cut it open and took the seeds.

Should I dry them first? and then put them into a ziploc bag? I'd appreciate some help.

On Dec 10, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. Compact Natal Plum 'Boxwood Beauty' (Carissa macrocarpa) has no thorns.

On Nov 8, 2008, mavoufl from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

After growing well for the first year, this fall our long border of natal plum is dying stem by stem, plant by plant. Can't figure it out - nothing has changed in its situation or care, and we do not observe any pests.
The plants put in this spring are dying first, and the plants put in over a year ago and which grew very well are starting to fail now one branch at a time, drying out and turning brown.

On Jun 6, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased this plant last winter, partly because there wasn't much activity outdoors. And I thought I would try my hands on some "Bonsai" culture. Due to its interesting bark, and twisting, gnalwing shape. As I "train" the plant in a small pot. It's now blooming! Yes, flower resembles a slender version of Plumera's bloom. One odd thing is that these flower buds are coming out from the thorny pertruberances. Very sharp, and pointed. And I have inadvertently pruned off most of the thorns! Lesson was learned about this odd beauty. I'd recommend this for it's beautiful in the winter months. The leaves turn a crimson red, orange which add more to its beauty~ all year round.

edit to add: I did not add my zipcode to this plant growing zone, simply because I have to wi... read more

On Sep 15, 2006, aprilwillis from Missouri City, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Nice evergreen, shinny leaves- watch for thorns, very attractive, easy care.