Tomato 'Bloody Butcher'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Bloody Butcher

Charlottesville, Virginia

Freeland, Washington

Sheboygan, Wisconsin

On Apr 5, 2015, greatgray from College, AK wrote:

I live in Fairbanks, AK (100 miles south of the Arctic Circle) and although I initially was not impressed with Bloody Butcher, I tried a 2nd year and had great results. Lots of deep red fruits with a perfect size for salads and sandwiches (about 2 in. diam.). I saved the seeds from some particularly flavorful (and early) tomatoes and this year, I already have the hint of the first flower cluster from plants only 6 in. high (I started them in late February). If you have a short growing season and relatively cool summer temperatures (it often gets into the 80s in Fairbanks, but only for about a month), this tomato variety is for you. And remember to save your seeds!

On Aug 17, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Pretty good on taste and production of golf-ball sized tomatoes. I prefer beefsteak tomatoes personally, but these are worth trying if you like tomatoes.

On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

started these late march 2011 and planted late may in zone
3a. in a raised planter, full sun.

med.sized plants easily staked
fair yield, smallish round deep red tomatos.
canned well for stew tomatos, good acidic taste
plants began to die out by mid august
would wilt if even slightly dry, will grow in more shaded location next time. fertilized twice.
a good general use tomato

On Oct 19, 2011, jimryan from Santa Cruz, CA wrote:

I tried this variety for the first time this summer. I live on the Pacific coast where we traditionally have cool summers and very warm Autumns. We had one of the coolest, foggiest summers is recent history. I had ten different tomato varieties including three from the Early Girl strain. None but this one did well. I was completely surprised since I'd never heard of it before and none of the other local gardeners had either. Small fruits, sometimes a bit funny shaped, hard to pull off the vine and the plant started suffering from "late blight" in August. But it started producing by the end of June and is still producing a few small fruit each week on October 19th. Tasty fruit. A little tough. Plant grows quite tall. I'll definitely try again next year as a hedge against another... read more

On Oct 6, 2011, MitziA from Bellevue, WA wrote:

I live in the Bellevue/Seattle area.
We simply loved "Bloody Butcher". It is more like a very large cherry tomato with golf-ball sized tomatoes with anywhere from 3 to 6 tomatoes on each stem, with a sprinkling of 1-2 to a stem.

It has a rich, sweet heirloom flavor. It's sheer number of tomatoes make up for it's smaller size. Has a thin skin that never toughens, and has produced fruit earlier than of any tomatoes here in the Northwest--and we had the coldest Spring in history here this year.

Maybe it does need a cooler spring and more water. (?)
Everyone who has tasted it here said it was simply delicious.

On Aug 11, 2011, pegster57 from Charlottesville, VA wrote:

I started this from seed and the plants grew well for the most part, getting about 6 feet tall. We had a very wet spring here in Zone 7 and I think that set them back a little; I know it killed 4 of my Roma tomatoes. The fruit is a dark pinkish red, and on the small side. The average size for me was about the size of a small peach. I found the flavor only ordinary, which is sad because I had such high hopes for this tomato.

On Oct 17, 2010, cerambycidae from Berkeley, CA wrote:

I got a lot of delicious fruit off of this plant. Plenty for my family and I gave a bunch away.

On Jul 12, 2010, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Small, green-shouldered flavorful tomatoes on a potato-leafed vine. Early to produce and gave out early.

On Jun 7, 2010, debles from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I purchased a strong plant from a reliable local grower this spring and so far I'm disappointed.

It was the first plant to produce blossoms, but none of the blossoms have produced a tomato.
Many of the plants I started from seed were much smaller than the Bloody Butcher I purchased and they are now setting fruit.
My Bloody Butcher plant continues to bloom without setting fruit.

I have 3 native bee blocks and a lot of bee activity so I don't understand why I'm not getting fruit on this plant. It's growing in an earthbox, same as my other tomato plants.

So far, I'm not impressed. First to bloom doesn't mean much if it doesn't produce tomatoes.

On Feb 18, 2010, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I am going to try these for the first time this year. I will post an update after I get my first ripe tomato!

On Jun 25, 2009, NickDanger from Tullahoma, TN wrote:

This is my first year to grow Bloody Butcher. It is over 7 feet tall already and is loaded with fruit. I can't wait for the first ripe tomato to check the taste. So far i'm very pleased with the way it has preformed. The ad said it was early ... it was the first to set fruit of the 35 varieties i'm growing. If it has a nice flavor it will be a staple in my garden. The leaves don't appear to be a true potato leaf, but i'm new to growing these varieties ...

On Apr 7, 2009, tdscpa from Hill City, KS wrote:

Hope I am reviewing the same tomato that is described here. I got my seed from Burpee. The envelope is labeled "Bloody Butcher". I grew three plants last year. Loved the fruit. Very "tomato" in flavor.

My brother visited, said it was the best-tasting tomato he had ever sampled. HOWEVER, I have looked all over the internet at pictures of Bloody Butcher Tomatoes, and what I grew looked nothing like any photo I have found described as Bloody Butcher.

The ones my plants produced were taller than they were wide, sort of like a Roma, but not as thin compared to width. They were probably about 4-5 oz, where all the pictures I find of them show a small beefsteak. No way mine are the same tomato. I had three plants that produced all summer, and the output nev... read more

On Jan 25, 2009, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this for 2 years and was unimpressed. Average tomato with average taste. It got deleted from my garden for that reason.

On Sep 7, 2007, majaz from Middlebury, VT (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is my third year growing Bloody Butcher. I pick the first ripe ones about the 10th of July. Though small they taste like a real tomato, something I'm really starved for after the long winter here in Vermont. I bought the seed out of a left over bin initially for a quarter without knowing anything about it. The plants stay pretty small and I've grown them in pots successfully as well as in the ground.

On Jun 29, 2007, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Good tasting early tomato for me. Not a Brandywine, but certainly better than Early Girl, Alaska, Oregon Spring or Canabec Super.

On May 6, 2006, dvrmte from Pelzer, SC wrote:

small but great tasting tomato when fully ripe. early to mature fruit. the plant seems to resist disease as well as most hybrids.potato leaf variety. i will grow every year as it does well in zone 7 of south carolina.

On Apr 8, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Fairly good tasting and productive early that I used to grow occasionally.

On Aug 14, 2005, treeeman from Fairhaven, MA wrote:

Grew this plant a couple years ago and found it to be very tasty. Heirloom. I am growing three plants this year and am waiting for them to turn red. They are tennis ball size and one of my favorites. We live and grow these 150' from the ocean.

On Oct 18, 2004, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Touted as being early and tasty. It is neither early enough nor tasty enough to keep growing it. I dropped it from my list after the three year test period.