PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Golden Masterpiece'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Masterpiece
Additional cultivar information: (PP1284)
Hybridized by Boerner; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1954

Bush

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #4 of Rosa  by mtilton

By Calif_Sue
Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Positive dontruman On Mar 13, 2012, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Blooms off & on during the summer and does not seem to appreciate the heat of 9a coastal Texas. Planting against an east facing wall keeps the afternoon sun off your roses. All roses like sunlight but many varieties resent direct sun+heat. No particular disease problems with this variety but then again I have to spray all my roses, including antiques & EarthKind, with fungicide periodically or they will look awful. Heat + humidity are not kind to roses. Even resistant varieties develop black spot to some degree.

Negative tgwWhale On Dec 17, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I tried Golden Masterpiece more than a few years ago. I was new to growing roses at the time and did not yet know: (1) yellow roses are particularly susceptible to black spot; (2) older cultivars such as this one are generally more susceptible to black spot than the newer ones, which are often bred for disease resistance; (3) the neighbor's flowering crab is totally susceptible to black spot, gets loaded with the disease every year, and spreads it all over my garden; (4) roses should be sprayed weekly with a fungicide that is effective on black spot.

The result of my ignorance was a plant that gave me about one nice bloom and then lost all of its leaves to black spot. I gave up it in about a year. Maybe now, with my greater knowledge of black spot control, I could grow this rose, but prefer more modern cultivars that are less susceptible.

Neutral Joan On Jun 6, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1284 has expired
Positive BUFFY690 On May 13, 2004, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a very new rose plant for me I just planted it in Feb 2004. It is performing beautifully. This is a great rose for a old tyme garden look, the blooms do not last long but there are alot in waiting. I would buy more of this type of rose if I had the room for them.

April 2005
My plant has sufferend from a break reducing its limbs by half. It was such a bushy thing and not it is so lopsided. Maybe I can fix it next year with some good pruning. But maybe I will get some really large flowers since is can now put allof its energy into one branch. Kind of like starting over.
I think the flowers are larger and the plant is throwing new limbs at a strange sngle I will have to reprune to reshapr in the fall and spring.

Prosperity, South Carolina