Long-cupped Narcissus, Large-cupped Daffodil 'Salome'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Narcissus (nar-SIS-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Salome
Hybridized by Richardson
Registered or introduced: 1958
» View all varieties of Daffodils

Division 2 - Large-cupped

Pale Yellow

This plant is resistant to deer

Flowers are good for cutting

Garberville, California

*AM(p) 1985
AGM 2001
AM Haarlem 1962
Wister Award 1995

(Salmon Trout x Rose Caprice)

On Apr 6, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is perhaps the most widely promoted and sold of the "pink cupped" daffodils. It was one of the first, and the cup color is less pink than the others---yellow on opening, and slowly acquiring salmon tints as it ages.

For a "pink cup", I much prefer 'Accent', which has a good non-fading salmon pink cup, and is at least as vigorous a naturalizer.

On May 1, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I cannot remember when I added this to my daffodil collection; it has been many, many years ago (at least ten). I do remember the disappointment in color when it bloomed; while the catalog pictures show a distinct PINK colored corona. To this day I wonder about the color accuracy of catalog and magazine advertisements because of this one inaccuracy! On the positive side, it is a robust plant with many blooms. They withstand the bitterly cold winters here, and never fail to bloom. It is not as good as 'Romance' which has a more true pink in the corona. It seems Salome stays yellow far too long, and never really approaches a true pink.

On Apr 30, 2006, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I started these in a pot, and initially I was not over impressed. After 2 years I planted them in the ground, they took another 2 years to recover and flower again. The first flower opened on 17th April, a late season for 2006. They start yellow, and within 2 days turn a shade of pink with a gold frilly rim. The colour continues to fade until very pale, and by the 30th April they are all still in very good condition.

The perianth is very neat and a creamy white. the cup has a very solid texture, and a matt effect, to touch they do not feel real. I am amazed at how they keep looking good, there has been rain over 3 days and they are not affected.

They have improved in strength, colour, all round appearance and longevity with establishing in the ground. ... read more

On Apr 17, 2005, torgo from Decatur, GA wrote:

It's typically advertised as having an "apricot" center, but expect it to be a faded yellow when it comes up. It's quite similar to Ice Follies except that it's more pale and it blooms later.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. If you mix Salome with Ice Follies in a single bed, you'll get a double bloom season of white-yellow.

On Nov 16, 2004, 433kfj from klamath falls, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought some of these last year, and put them in the veg. bin in the frig until I could get around to planting them. It turns out that I had to work 6-day weeks until late spring, when I finally got to plant them, but in a large saucer-type pot as I hadn't prepared any ground to put them in. They came up late ( w/ some iris that were suffering the same fate in the fridg.) They bloomed and they were white and yellow. I was loosing my faith in the nursery business because the year before I had bought an iris that was supposed to be purple w/ white markings but when it bloomed, very late and very tall from its discription, was all purple. Still very pretty, but not what I expected. Anyway, The Salome eventually proved themselves and gradually changed their trumpets to an apricot-pink. The i... read more

On May 15, 2004, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

'Salome' has been a good performer in my gardens here in Missouri. I have had it for many years. It blooms mid to late in the season. Sometimes it is a bit floppy after rain and winds, which happens quite a bit with large-flowered daffodils. Makes a great cut flower since the color improves with age.

On May 14, 2004, Baa wrote:

Very pretty Large cupped Daffodil which has white perianth segments and a yellow corona that changes to blush pink as it ages.