Australian Pea Vine, Cape Sweet Pea, Okie Bean

Dipogon lignosus

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dipogon (DY-poh-gon) (Info)
Species: lignosus (lig-NO-sus) (Info)
Synonym:Dolichos lignosus

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Oakland, California

San Anselmo, California

Santa Clara, California

Stockton, California

El Paso, Texas

Tyler, Texas

On Jul 2, 2012, oz01 from adelaide
Australia wrote:

First, I was horrified to see it called Australian. It comes from South Africa, along with many other of our noxious weeds.
Second, it is a declared weed (ie a real baddie) across southern Australia in climates from winter frosts to century+ summers.
It strangles and smothers whatever it can climb on or grow over, and yes it has large underground rhizomes to keep shooting from. I dug up a plant with 2 slender stalks, 18 inches long, and it already had a root of 6 inches by 3/4 inch.
Aust recommendations for removal are dig the tiny ones, poison the big ones, or if you can, burn it. That kills the big one and germinates seed so you get less coming back.
Don't plant it in the first place!

On Jun 4, 2010, dawnjerome from El Paso, TX wrote:

I hate this plant. It was growing all over the front and back yard when we moved into our house. It is extremely hard to get rid of, and the leaves give off a fowl odor. I have spent entire days trying to dig this plant up, and have removed root balls weighing over 10 lbs. But this plant just keeps growing, in fact it seems to like my meddling. I wanted to plant a nice little garden with native plants but this vine strangles all of the natives out. I pull out the vine everyday, and every morning when I go out into the garden it is growing again. Im so frustrated, I dont want to use any kind os herbicide but I feel I may have to if I can't get this under control soon. Or I will just have to get used to its ugly and smelly foliage, and small pink flowers. I give this plant an affirmative NEG... read more

On May 15, 2004, DaveH from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

A small evergreen vine, native to South Africa, which blooms from April to September. It has clusters of attracive rose-pink flowers. The heart shaped foliage is exceptionally attractive deep green, and looks good all winter in my area (San Francisco). May go deciduous in colder areas. Fast growing, and considered invasive in some areas.