PlantFiles: Mexican Clover, Tropical Mexican Clover
Richardia brasiliensis

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Richardia (rich-AR-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: brasiliensis (bra-sill-ee-EN-sis) (Info)

Synonym:Richardia adscendens
Synonym:Richardia emetica

Groundcovers

Blooms all year

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By Floridian
Thumbnail #1 of Richardia brasiliensis by Floridian

By Monocromatico
Thumbnail #2 of Richardia brasiliensis by Monocromatico

Negative xyris On Mar 12, 2005, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a major weed in my garden as well. In addition to its prolific seeding, it produces a deep taproot, and will resprout from broken pieces of taproot left in the ground when the plant is pulled. It could be considered an attractive groundcover in a cooler climate, perhaps, but is just too invasive for garden use in central Florida.

10 worst weeds in my garden (sandy soil, dry to wet, zone 9b):
Phyllanthus amarus
Commelina diffusa

Negative Monocromatico On Mar 11, 2005, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Weed in tropical areas. I have to pick up new seedlings that pop out on my garden every day, but it is useless as there are thousands of other plants producing seeds on the surroundings.

Positive ButterflyMom21 On Jul 10, 2004, ButterflyMom21 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a low ground-cover type plant, that grows naturally on my property south of San Antonio, TX. It has a very nice bright green color to it and petite small white flowers, and grows easily in rocky/sandy soil and dry climates. It can be transplanted, if delicately done, before it starts spreading out too much. I have planted in a small corner garden near my front porch along with my Purple Heart plants. The two ground covers complement each other nicely for now... although I've been reading that the purple heart may take over.
This clover is very hardy and looks almost like it retains moisture in its stems and such like a cactus would, as it appears fresh and almost moist even when the temperatures are sky-high in our Texas summers and there has been no water for days!

Daytona Beach, Florida