PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Costoluto Genovese'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Costoluto Genovese

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by mimitho

By bpgarden
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by bpgarden

Positive JULIETABER On May 25, 2014, JULIETABER from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

One of my favorites. I look forward to each and every intensely red, convoluted tomato. Mine are growing in straw bales this year and are loaded. I put ground egg shells in when I planted them, so no BER. I've already had 4 tomatoes and it is only mid-May.

Positive nhplanter On Aug 11, 2012, nhplanter from Washington, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Easy to grow and very prolific. I love the taste and this is my all-time favorite tomato.

Positive lycodad On Sep 16, 2011, lycodad from Hornell, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have a half-dozen garden gazers in my neighborhood, everyone was shocked and awed by this one. The odd ribbed shoulders just set off the beautiful look these tomatoes had. A very novel tomato indeed. They tasted pretty good, too, but I'll admit that most of mine went into the sauce pot. Mine were grown from the original Italian seeds from Pagano. This one is a definate keeper.

Positive WonderWeasel On Sep 8, 2011, WonderWeasel from Kansas City, KS (Zone 5a) wrote:

This was my first year growing Costoluto Genovese (or Costos, as I lazily shorten their name), and I was definitely satisfied. The plant was quite prolific, setting dozens of pumpkin-shaped fruit over the growing season. The only problem I had with it compared to other varieties I've grown is that it seemed more susceptible to blossom end rot. In fact, almost all of my first round of tomatoes from this plant had that problem. After I started feeding it half-strength miracle-gro all-purpose plant feed every week, the blossom end rot disappeared. Also, the plant was in a 3-gallon container, so perhaps with a larger container or by planting in the ground, I wouldn't have had this problem.

Neutral rspoilsport On Sep 5, 2011, rspoilsport from Yellow Springs, OH wrote:

Thin walled and low yielding, though I admit it's been growing in cramped and rather shady conditions. Taste is good, but Palestinian, Brandywine, and Mortgage Lifter rate better By golly though, it is a beautiful tomato (and what a name).

Positive SigourneyBeaver On May 21, 2010, SigourneyBeaver from Pine Island, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I love growing this plant. It's huge, productive and has much prettier fruit and foliage than most tomatoes. I also really like the flavor.

Positive boxelder On Dec 6, 2009, boxelder from Salfordville, PA wrote:

I started these wonderful plants from seeds in a slightly shaded east facing window, and germination was near 100%. In PA this year we had an overly wet season, and all my tomato plants (about 20) had fungal leaf spot problems by mid summer, but that did not stop Costoluto Genovese at all. Production was higher then the 2 other time tested hybrids I planted along side with, and the flavor is unmatched! Flavor is acidic...real tomato taste, and my wife and I used them fresh and for cooking with. They are highly lobed, and some say ugly looking. I prefer to say that these tomatos are so ugly that they are beautiful. I will always grow this variety in my gardens!

Positive ncowan2005 On Jan 17, 2009, ncowan2005 from Toronto

We love this tomato. Enormously productive, right until frost, with very little effort. Definitely needs (ground and plant) suckers removed vigilantly. We found the flavor incredible. A bit tangier and acidic than a Beefsteak or Brandywine so great in salads, especially with Italian cheese! Also a great sauce tomato. And each tomato is like a work of art. The people who grew the unribbed version may be growing the vastly inferior Fiorentino.

Positive tarheel2az On Nov 9, 2007, tarheel2az from Tonto Basin, AZ wrote:

One of the most heat tolerant varieties I've tried (Roosevelt, AZ). Prolific, but important to nip sucker shoots or fruit size suffered. I liked the taste, my wife thought it so-so, a co-worker the best tasting tomato ever. Go figure.

Positive billbird2111 On Sep 24, 2007, billbird2111 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

This is a wonderful tomato with that "old world" tomatoey flavor. Perfect for off the vine eating in the backyard. My fruits weren't terribly large, but the plant produced by the hundreds and the taste -- again -- is absolutely out of this world good. Not the eye opening taste that you get from a Kellogg's Breakfast or Brandywine, but still worth its weight in GOLD. A winner in my garden. Will plant again and again.

Neutral Amicyre On Sep 6, 2007, Amicyre from West Chester, OH wrote:

I grew this tomato as an alternative to the romas I grew last year. I wanted a meaty heirloom tomato for making sauce. This plant grew well even in the hot dry summer we had here in southern Ohio. It yielded about 50 small to medium tomatoes. It was meaty but bland. I would say it's just like a roma tomato but with a more interesting shape. It was OK but I'll try something else next year.

Positive toriastar On Jul 24, 2007, toriastar from Arlington, VA wrote:

This is the prettiest tomato I've seen. My seeds from Tomato Growers Supply Company turned out heavily lobed and beautifully red as promised. It's the heartiest of my tomato plants. The favor is normal, not fabulous, but then I first had them when I was also trying my Carbon tomatoes, which would probably make any other tomato taste blah in comparison. I think it would be better in sauces rather than fresh, though I like how the lobes are perfect for guiding your knife when slicing.

Neutral Suze_ On Sep 17, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew this variety a few years ago. Pretty fruits, but the flavor just didn't quite do it for me. A bit on the mild side.

Negative PurplePansies On Sep 17, 2006, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

My plants// fruits for some reason? were not really ribbed at all. They looked slightly? ribbed when young but wound up quite smooth. Also the plants grew HORRIBLY! while other plants thrived in my garden these tomatos took forever to fruit, and then even, not much. Would not grow again. Fruit is decent taste/ texture, but does not look like it says it does, and grew terribly. (I may? have gotten wrong seed variety? since mine were smooth maybe they were marked wrong? as Costoluto fiorentino? when they were supposed to be Costoluto genovese?) ...... either way, I wouldn't grow them again (even if the seeds were mislabeled) because they grew miserably!

Neutral shawteeroc On Aug 15, 2006, shawteeroc from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have an abundance of tomatoes, but I have not experienced the accordion shape that they are known for. The taste is OK, though a little watery and bland - a bit like a supermarket tomato in flavor.

Positive BDale60 On Jul 25, 2006, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Somewhat mixed experiences with it, but definitely a positive rating on balance. Hardy plant, excellent taste for sauces (and for eating fresh) and (for me) moderately productive. My only reservations have to do with the variations I've seen in the mature fruit. I've grown it two or three different times, with seed from different companies, with remarkably different appearances in the mature fruit. I loved the bright red, heavily lobed or ridged fruits I grew the first year (like some of the photos on this website) but never got that same appearance in subsequent attempts. Flatter, rounder, and plainer. When I grow it again I'll go back to the original seed company that gave me the best results.

Positive Sequee On Jul 25, 2004, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Truly an awesome tomato! It grows quickly and the tomato is beautiful at every stage. I'm having a HUGE problem with whitelies this year, but this plant remains totally undaunted. This tomato is currently ranked in my top two!

Positive alaska_rick On Jul 21, 2004, alaska_rick from Juneau, AK (Zone 5a) wrote:

Seems to be growing here in Juneau, Alaska. I have 3 plants going. No ripe tomatoes as of today, July 21. One fairly large green one - about the size of my fist - and twenty smaller green tomatoes. The plants are about 6 ft tall. One plant is in a container that I move in and out of the house on bad weather days. The other two are partially protected in a open sided cold frame.

Juneau, Alaska
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Salfordville, Pennsylvania
Warren, Pennsylvania
North Augusta, South Carolina
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Liberty Hill, Texas