PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Isis Candy'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Isis Candy

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by dorisv

By sanpedro
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by sanpedro

Neutral BethReed On Jul 3, 2012, BethReed from San Jose, CA wrote:

I have grown this tomato several years in a row, once in San Diego and twice on the San Francisco Peninsula.

In my experience, the plant itself is large, healthy-looking, vigorous with long straight stems. Flowers are produced in a spray of 5-7, of which sometimes 1 or 2 will set a fruit. Total fruits off the plant: maybe a dozen. Maybe less.

Granted, each time I've grown this tomato, it's been in a partly shady situation, so I'm not sure I've given it a fair chance to thrive.

However - the flavor is awesome and the fruit is beautiful. Reddish-orange with a sunburst of yellow on the blossom end. Very sweet, but with a nice balance of acid, larger than the average cherry tomato, pops in your mouth. They are delicious... I just wish they produced better.

Positive stormygace On Dec 23, 2009, stormygace from kure beach, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Not the most productive & was affected by blight (but the cuttings I took at first sign of blight rooted & produced until frost) but my, oh my, the flavor & texture. Tender skin, sweet with good balance of acid, almost a fruity nose & nice texture (not mealy or a sack o seed). I recommend taking cuttings as this worked so well to get around whatever was croaking out the original. To be fair this plant was placed in a loamy sand new bed that was roughly augmented. This cherry has earned a placed in the feted raised beds for next year. This was preferred over SunGold 4:1 so I'll just plant several plants - LOL!

Neutral azruss On Dec 20, 2009, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Vigorous plant, pretty and tasty cherry tomatoes, but the production was far too low for me to make this a keeper.

Positive dorisv On Sep 14, 2008, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

Wonderful flavor and nice plump cherry size. It got off to a slow start in my yard and I would call the yield only average, but the flavor has won me over. I will plant this again next year.

Positive Loretta_NJ On Oct 1, 2007, Loretta_NJ from Pequannock, NJ wrote:

Not terribly prolific but I wouldn't go by my experience on that. It was in part shade and none of my tomatoes grow optimally. Still, it is tall.
Taste was great. A really nice fresh taste, juicy, sweet and not mealy or acidic. Similar to a well ripened black cherry. Better than Green Grape. A kid (that eats tomatoes) would like this one.
Skin wasn't too tough either, softer than Sungold. Color was same as Kidsparrow's pictures. By then, the fruit had a little give and was good to eat.

Positive LooneyLinda On Jun 29, 2007, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

I agree with Lissy J. Isis has great flavor if allowed to ripen completely. I found that it needs to be almost a coral color on the bottom for best taste.

Positive LissyJ On May 24, 2007, LissyJ from Stansbury Park, UT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Isis candy was a great cherry tomato in my garden last year. It has a nice sweet flavor that is like eating candy if they are left on the vine to ripen all the way. I like how neat the tomato looked. I posted a photo of the bi-color streaks that this tomato has.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Fruits are marbled with red. Rich flavor is a complex blend of sweetness and fruitiness. Each fruit has a spectacular cat's eye starburst on the blossom end. Plants are loaded with 1 1/2" fruits on short trusses in double rows of 6-8. Indeterminate, 70-80 days from transplant.

Neutral bluekat76 On Aug 2, 2006, bluekat76 from Ijamsville, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew this one last year and the taste was nothing to write home about. Maybe it wasn't my year.

Neutral Big_Red On Dec 26, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Medium to large bi-color cherries. Fruity and very sweet. Gold with red streaks splashing into the flesh. Productive.

Marana, Arizona