PlantFiles: Cucumber, Bush Cucumber
Cucumis sativus 'Spacemaster'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: Spacemaster

Thumbnail #6 of Cucumis sativus by kimcheebaby

By TBGDN
Thumbnail #7 of Cucumis sativus by TBGDN

Neutral duginmt On Jul 10, 2011, duginmt from Billings, MT wrote:

We had a long, wet, cool spring here in MT. I planted 8 seeds in one hill on May 1st and only 1 plant came up. That was too early to plant here. I figure the rest rotted in the ground. I re-planted in early June. Now I have 3 small plants and the one original plant after thinning out the weakest 4. They have grown only about 20% as much as the large green zuccinni next to them. However, the original plant is beginning to form blossoms, and is only about 1' tall and 1' wide! Still hoping to get some production out of them. So far, I have learned they do not like soil below 60 F, and they have grown slowly for me. My soil is a sandy loam with potting soil mixed in. They are in full sun and I water regularly and fertilize about every 10 days with Miracle Grow vegetable fertilizer mixed in with my garden feeder. Also, I spray for bugs about 5 times per year with a vegetable-rated pesticide.

Positive thegardengoddess On Nov 28, 2010, thegardengoddess from Keremeos, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

Post from Keremeos, BC, Canada - This is the only variety I've grown in my garden for the last 5 years. We've had cool wet springs, hot in May (plus 80's) and so cool in July the tomatoes haven't set . . . but this variety comes through it all! (Did I mention the heavy smoke from forest fires in August?) A great slicer at 6-7 inches. I plant mine in hills, fertilize with 14-14-14 slow release and mulch with chopped straw. This year we were still picking cucs at the end of September with no powdery mildew. Two green thumbs up!!

Positive mbutler6 On Apr 7, 2010, mbutler6 from Mobile, AL wrote:

Grows very quickly and produces an abundant amount of produce. Additionally, the cucumbers are a thin skinned variety!

Positive nolabug On May 15, 2009, nolabug from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this little cuc. I grow it almost as much for looks as for eating. Let me say, though, that I grow them in a container that is probably much too small and I don't get the 7-8" fruit that someone mentioned below. Mine grow to about 4-5" but the plant makes a ton of them. I have had powdery mildew problems with one once, but cured it fairly easily with neem. I think the fruit is very tasty - not quite as delightful as the Japanese straight long that I grow in the vegetable bed but better than some of your usual types (slicemaster, etc). The plant is great in hanging baskets and windowboxes, from an edible landscaping point of view.

Positive TBGDN On Jul 29, 2008, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

I bought a packet of seeds at Walmart this spring for $1.07 and planted the whole pack into one row on May 26, 2008. After fully developed plants were established I thinned out to the strongest growing six plants which grew into bushy mounds. By July 18th we were eating fresh cukes from this amazing little plant. It is almost a daily ritual to keep them picked, since they grow rapidly. I have given away so many I've lost count, and still have too many! Refreshing in salads, or plain with a little olive oil & salt.

Positive CurtisJones On Jun 11, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: Spacemaster Cucumbers are an excellent choice for the home gardener who is short on space. The very compact bushy 2'-3' plants can easily be grown in a small garden plot or in a large container. Though, the plants are petite, the cucumbers reach an average 7.5" length. They are great for pickles when small and for slicing when mature. Regular picking will help the plant produce prolifically throughout the season. Spacemaster is resistant to cucumber mosaic virus and scab.

Positive TXgreyhound On Jun 5, 2008, TXgreyhound from Farnsworth, TX wrote:

I grew this last summer and really enjoyed it. I planted it from seed next to what our local greenhouse calls a Salad Bush cuke, and they produced a fairly good amount of whitish-green fruits that were a wonderful addtion to the garden.

My parents and I like them mixed with vinegar and sugar.

Positive GranvilleSouth On Dec 19, 2007, GranvilleSouth from (Zone 10a) wrote:

This cucumber is amazingly compact. It spun me out when it grew about 2ft, flowered & started fruiting. It would suit a lot of situations where ppl feel they don't have space because it is quite generous for such a tiny vine. I am impressed & hope it grows true from the seeds I save this autumn.

Neutral gardenwife On Aug 9, 2005, gardenwife from Newark, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Mine was covered with powdery mildew after a very wet and cool spring. It never recovered. We did get two cukes from the plant, and they were delicious.

Positive htop On May 17, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a compact bush cucumber that has 3-foot vines that bear 7-8 inch fruits. It is resistant to scab and mosaic virus. It bears fruit early in 56-62 days. Young fruit can be picked early for pickling. It can be planted in a large container that has good drainage (great for patios), in the garden or planted in even small gardens. Plant seeds after the last frost when the soil has thoroughly warmed, in soil enriched with rotted manure, fertilizer or compost. Start indoors in 3-inch peat pots about 4 weeks before transplanting. Fertilize monthly and water regularly, but don't overwater. Cucumbers should be picked regularly when they are are 6 to 8 inches long so more cucumbers are produced. Yellow cucumbers are over-ripe and should be discarded. The seeds remain viable for several years when stored in a dry place.

Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)
Los Angeles, California
Longmont, Colorado
Daytona Beach, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Kuna, Idaho
Macy, Indiana
Georgetown, Kentucky
Hammond, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Grand Rapids, Michigan