Peach Palm, Pupunha

Bactris gasipaes

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bactris (BAK-triss) (Info)
Species: gasipaes (Ga-zee-pa-ess) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Lakeland, Florida

Naples, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Hilo, Hawaii

On Jan 14, 2011, Mandrew968 from Miami, FL wrote:

I planted this palm in the fall of 2010. It's pretty fast if it's needs are met: partial shade, lots of water, slightly acidic soil, and tropical temperatures. My palm almost died from two seperate cold spells--the heart is still green with all of the outer leaves burnt badly. I've read that this palm has sprouted back from the ground, in Gainesville, after a good freeze, but this is hard to believe as mine barely got frost with temperatures reading 35 degrees, for just several hours. This palm grows marginally in south florida and is often seen to be very 'untidy' due to the difficult job of maintenance. The prospect of edible fruits(for my tortoise and wild fauna)was the main reason for placing it in my backyard--back corner because or the ubiquitous spines(spineless cultivars exist).

On Feb 7, 2006, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

If you have ever eaten the cooked fruit of this palm, you might have a greater understanding of why it is cultivated. In addition to it's fruits, this species is frequently used for "heart of palm", a tasty crispy addition to salads which is gaining in popularity here in the USA. One suggestion- if you are bothered by the wind tattered leaves of the taller stems, you can simply remove the tallest stems, leaving the others to replace it. Also, I've found it to be a good subject for including in a heavily planted, tropical rainforest type garden. All things said, it is still a very spiny palm- especially the trunk. I've noticed that as mine matured, the leaves had fewer and fewer spines- little consolation considering the overall prickly nature of the plant.

If you are co... read more

On Jun 14, 2005, Cearbhaill from Russell, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant grows extremely well in South Florida, but it always looked ragged. The leaves tear with the least bit of wind and one good storm ruins it for a year or more.
That in combination with the spines caused me to remove mine. I had suckers of it come up for years- must not have gotten all the roots!

On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

ONe survived in Ventura CA for 15 years until teh person had it removed because they did not like it.

On May 19, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Though not known in the wild, this palm is grown all over central America as a source of food primarily (the fruit is tasty and for palm heart). It is a clustering (sometimes solitary), tall, fast-growing very spiny palm (spineless forms exist) used for wind-breaks sometimes in agricultural areas. This is NOT a palm most can grow in the mainland US as it is quite cold sensitive. It's not the best looking palm in the world, but when grown up to about 50' can be quite impressive.