PlantFiles: Corn Cockle
Agrostemma githago 'Ocean Pearl'

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agrostemma (ag-roh-STEM-uh) (Info)
Species: githago (GITH-uh-go) (Info)
Cultivar: Ocean Pearl

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By poppysue

By AnniesAnnuals
Thumbnail #5 of Agrostemma githago by AnniesAnnuals

By AnniesAnnuals
Thumbnail #6 of Agrostemma githago by AnniesAnnuals

Positive irishmist On Jul 25, 2014, irishmist from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Growing this for the first time and in my Zone 6a garden it just began blooming from an early spring sowing. Have it in a patio pot with pink Agrostemma 'Milas', deep blue/purple larkspur and bright pink Silene armeria - lovely! My seedlings were too crowded and I thinned some but not to recommended spacing and they still are doing well. Plan to expand this combo next year adding bachelor buttons, nigella and cosmos for a great self sowing garden area. Will use 9-12" spacing next year for more fully developed plants.

Positive Domehomedee On Aug 5, 2011, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my first year with these charming flowers. I have them growing on a dry hillside with agaves and sages. They are so pretty and delicate, I hope they become invasive, at least within the boundries of my garden.

Positive celtic_dolphin On Jan 6, 2007, celtic_dolphin from Boone, NC (Zone 4b) wrote:

This may be a weed or invasive in other areas - but if all weeds were so pretty we wouldn't mind them so much! I started the seeds too late in the season, yet they still managed to bloom for me, I hope to get a better start with them this year. Nice and tall, not very wide - they fit in beautifully with other flowers, not crowding them out, at least, not in my area.

Negative cherishlife On Nov 12, 2004, cherishlife from Pocola, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

According to the USDA website, this plant is a noxious weed in Arkansas and South Carolina.

Arroyo Grande, California