Corn Cockle
Agrostemma githago 'Ocean Pearl'

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agrostemma (ag-roh-STEM-uh) (Info)
Species: githago (GITH-uh-go) (Info)
Cultivar: Ocean Pearl

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Arroyo Grande, California

Burlingame, California

Richmond, California

Rochester, New York

Warrensville, North Carolina

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

negative

On Jul 25, 2014, irishmist from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Growing this for the first time and in my Zone 6a garden it just began blooming from an early spring sowing. Have it in a patio pot with pink Agrostemma 'Milas', deep blue/purple larkspur and bright pink Silene armeria - lovely! My seedlings were too crowded and I thinned some but not to recommended spacing and they still are doing well. Plan to expand this combo next year adding bachelor buttons, nigella and cosmos for a great self sowing garden area. Will use 9-12" spacing next year for more fully developed plants.

On Aug 5, 2011, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my first year with these charming flowers. I have them growing on a dry hillside with agaves and sages. They are so pretty and delicate, I hope they become invasive, at least within the boundries of my garden.

On Jan 6, 2007, celtic_dolphin from Boone, NC (Zone 4b) wrote:

This may be a weed or invasive in other areas - but if all weeds were so pretty we wouldn't mind them so much! I started the seeds too late in the season, yet they still managed to bloom for me, I hope to get a better start with them this year. Nice and tall, not very wide - they fit in beautifully with other flowers, not crowding them out, at least, not in my area.

On Nov 12, 2004, cherishlife from Pocola, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

According to the USDA website, this plant is a noxious weed in Arkansas and South Carolina.