Carrot 'Purple Dragon'

Daucus carota

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Daucus (DO-kus) (Info)
Species: carota (kar-OH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Purple Dragon
Additional cultivar information:(aka Dragon)
» View all varieties of Carrots

Not Applicable

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Madison, Alabama

Macomb, Michigan

Waverly, Nebraska

Aston, Pennsylvania

On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC from Madison, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

At attractive carrot, but it doesn't really taste like anything. That might be good for picky eaters who will eat them for the appearance, but carrot fans will probably not be impressed.

On Mar 25, 2011, Pitcom from Avondale, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

A delicious carrot to say the least. On thing I have experienced is this carrot benefits from a little more spacing than some of the other varieties that can be crowded together. These carrots are good eaten raw, but they really become sweet and nutty when roasted. You cannot go wrong with this carrot.

On May 14, 2007, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

I've grown this one for several years now, and have been very pleased with it. It has a slender, tapering form, but still manages to do well in my light clay soil. The carrots are crisp, very flavorful and sweet, and you can't beat the color! (The purple skin does fade when the carrots are cooked, however). It's a beautiful addition to a salad or a vegetable tray.

On Jul 25, 2006, Drido from Heredia
Costa Rica (Zone 11) wrote:

I have in this moment carrot "Purple dragon" in my backtard. I sow it like a month ago and it has good size. Iīm an amateur about carrots and i moved some plants that were very clouse, i donīt know if it is right, well the next time iīll donīt do that. Some suggestion from a persone that has more experience will be ok.

On Jan 28, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Information only, I have not grown this variety.

This is a very old Open Pollinated cultivar. Probably the best purple carrot available.

On Nov 17, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Nice. I like a novelty, but most are not that great to eat. This one is, with a slightly spicy flavor. It grows well in my alkaline clay soils. It grows fast for a novelty, too. Perhaps it is just my imagination, but these plants did not appear as chewed-up when the earwig army was battling my garden.

One thing to remember: It does not appear to compete well with other plants and should not be planted too closely, which a person can get away with planting other carrots.

On Jul 12, 2005, tripletmomma2K from Macomb, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've been picking these in zone 5 for about a week. Nice sized carrots, stylishly burgundy-purple on the outside, typical orange on the inside. Sweet and crisp... just like a carrot should taste. They'd be beautiful peeled in curls in a salad. I would definitely grow these again, and plan to next year!

On May 21, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A purple specialty carrot, touted to be high in anti-oxidants. 75 day. Long tapered shape.