PlantFiles: Golden Dew Drop, Sky Flower, Pigeon Berry
Duranta erecta 'Sapphire Showers'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Duranta (door-AN-tuh) (Info)
Species: erecta (ee-RECK-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sapphire Showers

Synonym:Duranta repens
Synonym:Duranta plumieri

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Purple

Blooms all year

Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Veined

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By butterflybyrob

By meena
Thumbnail #6 of Duranta erecta by meena

By barbur
Thumbnail #7 of Duranta erecta by barbur

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

I know this plant is rated 9b zone hardiness but I have one and there are a lot of them around here in Central Texas zone 8a , They are die back perennials here and do not get very tall but they are everywhere . I also have the white version it does die back in severe winters but 2011-2012 mild winter it lost minimal leaves and its already blooming .

Positive CostaRica On May 29, 2011, CostaRica from Guayabo de Bagaces, Guanacaste
Costa Rica (Zone 10b) wrote:

Perfect plant to 'block' an unsightly building . Makes a great hedge and grows very fast...but doesn't take over an area.

Neutral rjsecora On Mar 18, 2011, rjsecora from Caneyville, KY wrote:

I have this tree and absolutely love it. It was gorgeous all summer long. However, the guy that sold it to me said it was hardy for my area...I am in KY - so I am a zone 6...can sometimes get away with a 7. Last year, I couldn't find any info on it. So the bark is, for lack of a better word, molting away from the stem. I think the winter killed it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can it be brought back to life? I really loved this little tree.

Positive PammiePi On Jul 25, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

One of my favorites in the garden, I planted this bush off my front porch where it gets morning to early-afternoon sun. Puts on quite a show when it blooms, since the butterflies, hummingbirds, & bees visit it. We need to prune it regularly, otherwise it gets so bushy it takes over the entry way. Burns back in hard-freezes but comes right back as soon as the weather warms up. Showy pretty berries add to the plant's appeal. Easy to grow & drought-tolerant.

Positive katrich On Apr 18, 2010, katrich from Church Hill, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted the Golden Dew Drop last summer and it grew really fast to a great size. Beautiful varigated leaves and blooms that added color to my garden. Other than watching out for the thorns, I love it. Where it was planted, it didn't get a lot of sunshine and it didn't make it through the winter so I plan on purchasing more to plant in a better place as more of a border type plant around our property. I had put it where it would block the faucet and hose area in my garden which it did beautifully but will have to find something else that doesn't require as much sun.

Neutral chiggerville On Feb 15, 2010, chiggerville from Chapel Hill, NC wrote:

Bloomed beautifully the 1st year (2007). Came back from its roots the 2nd year and bloomed but less vigorously. Now, each summer it continues to come back strongly but doesn't bloom until it is 10' tall (late Aug) and then only slightly.

Positive vbanderson On Oct 24, 2009, vbanderson from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I need advice. I am in Indianapolis IN and received this plant as a gift. (Sapphire Showers Duranta - Tree) It has been beautiful all summer. How can I properly help this tropical plant through our winter in the north and still have a beautiful blooming healthy plant next season? Responses are appreciated. I am not a plant "techie". vbanderson@aol.com Thank you.

Positive turektaylor On Aug 3, 2009, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

i love this bush and so do the hummers, hummingbird moths and bees ! it blooms like gangbusters , takes a break for a few weeks and does it all over again and again! it's truly a treasure in my garden. it has returned , even after the coldest winter in 15 years.

Positive CAT123 On Jul 31, 2007, CAT123 from Aripeka, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I live right on the Gulf of Mexico in Aripeka Fl. The golden dewdrop,Duranta reopens is very salt tolerant and an excellent wind breaker I've had it growing for 12 years or so and have planted 4 more on my yard plus planted it in 3 more yards all are doing excellent even after being covered with 3 foot of salt water To get it to bloom more I cut it back or trim it to take all berries off. It doesn't seem to matter what time of year as soon as I get old berries off it will bloom again also it seems to have the thorns sometimes and other times there is no thorns very odd about the thorns also it started putting runners off that are growing new plants it makes a excellent hedge with the runner behavior now I,m training it to go right up and down my bank (I live on canal with no seawall ) very low maintenance except to trim and you can take as long as you like with that but the more you play with it the better it looks Oh one more reason to love this plant the bluebirds love the berries I had never seen them in Aripeka before and they stop by every spring now during migration I guess.. I hope this helps I live on a limerock man made canal I have a small nursery and a Garden club Cathys Gardens

Positive thistles On Apr 10, 2007, thistles from Tappahannock, VA wrote:

Had to bring plants back into the sunroom due to the cold spell we are just coming out of and missed the Sapphire Showers. Temperatures dropped into the 20's for the last 4 nights and today I found it apparently unscathed beside the hydrangea. Hope it doesn't object to being in the sunroom tonight.

Neutral FLtropics On Jun 11, 2006, FLtropics from Pompano Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

A beautiful plant that flowers Spring to Fall in my area. I could do without the thorns though when trimming it!

Neutral mkjones On Sep 29, 2005, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I'm going to give this guy a neutral; it's LOVELY when blooming, and is hardy in my area (planted it last spring and it came back w/lush growth). However, I'm not thrilled with its stubborness to bloom again for me! I've fed it, watered it, etc., but no luck. So disappointing; considering digging it up.

Positive barbur On Jun 7, 2005, barbur from Port Lavaca, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants. It produces lots of purple pendant flower clusters on the tips of new growth that contrast beautifully with it's yellow berries. Flowers have a light candy-like fragrance. It is a subtropical shrub that I have in a hanging basket. When planting in a container use a hanging basket, tall container or set container on a plant stand. Use a well-drained potting soil, and prune vigorous shoots to keep plant compact and free-flowering. Occasional fertilization will keep foliage green and keep flower production high. In subtropical climates it makes a good specimen in the landscape. Plant in open, well-drained soil in a sunny location and train by pruning. In cold climates it should be planted in a container.

Positive artcons On Apr 20, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have had my "Golden Dewdrop" about 10 years. I started it from a cutting. It's a large bush with spreading branches that can easily be controlled via trimming. It's a fast grower but requires a lot of space to mature and bloom. Mine are in mostly shade and do very well there. In zone 10 they bloom from April through November. There are no problems with suckers. I have a "White Sky" Alba variety growing next to it. These bushes are great to use to cover up a sore spot on your property, as long as you have room. Along with small attractive flowers both bushes produce smallish beigh/gold berries which birds seem to enjoy. Both colors are great butterfly attractors.
Art

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Fallbrook, California
La Presa, California
Lemon Grove, California
Los Angeles, California
San Jose, California (2 reports)
Aripeka, Florida
Asbury Lake, Florida
Bellair-meadowbrook Terrace, Florida
Big Pine Key, Florida
Black Diamond, Florida
Bonnie Lock-woodsetter North, Florida
Bradley, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida
Cypress Lake, Florida (2 reports)
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Eatonville, Florida
Fruitville, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Gifford, Florida
Glencoe, Florida
Greater Northdale, Florida
Haverhill, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Jensen Beach, Florida
Paradise Heights, Florida
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Port Saint John, Florida
Port Saint Lucie, Florida (2 reports)
Sarasota, Florida