PlantFiles: Petunia
Petunia 'Tidal Wave Silver'

Genus: Petunia (peh-TEWN-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Tidal Wave Silver
Additional cultivar information: (Tidal WaveŽ series)

Not Applicable

Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Silver/Gray

Blue-Green
Aromatic
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By TamiMcNally

Thumbnail #6 of Petunia  by mellielong

By andycdn
Thumbnail #7 of Petunia  by andycdn

Positive supernnyl On Jan 12, 2012, supernnyl from Avondale Estates, GA wrote:

I planted two wave petunias in July 2011. Even with some cold weather, they didn't stop blooming until mid-December. It is now the middle of January 2012, and the vines/leaves are still green. Anxiously waiting to see if they survive the rest of the winter and bloom again in the spring.

Positive Victorine72 On Dec 31, 2010, Victorine72 from Richmond, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Grew these from seed, which I started inside mid-February. By the middle of May, they were *huge* and in some places, a bit intrusive. We had a brutal summer here but my wave petunias seemed unfazed no matter how bad the weather conditions. I'd never bought wave petunia plants, nor planted any from seed before, but I now plan to grow several other colors next season.

Positive AtlantaCarl On Dec 5, 2008, AtlantaCarl from Atlanta, GA wrote:

These have been amazing plants for me. They bloom like crazy, and when they get too leggy, I just cut them back and they come back better than ever. What's more, I've got some in hanging baskets that have survived 16 degrees and keep coming back.

Positive andycdn On Apr 13, 2007, andycdn from Ottawa, ON (Zone 4b) wrote:

I grew these from seed and had excellent germination. The plants grew on well and loved being in a container (see my photo above). When I pulled this one out in the fall I was amazed that the small root system could support such vigorous, non-stop blooming! No deadheading and no problem with an occasional missed watering. The colour was variable: some were a little more mauvy and some were almost white, but the dark centre was attractive and gave the mass of bloom some depth. Rarely saw the foliage!

Positive northgrass On Aug 14, 2006, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

The last few years, I have been lucky to find these plants at our local nursery . They do extremely well. Unlike any other petunias I have ever grown, they never get leggy or develop empty centers. No need to remove spent blooms or trim back the bare stems either.
This year, I planted one in a raised bed with a rose bush, it overtook the whole area including the rose, covering an area of about 2 square yards, unbelievable.... a complete mass of blooms.

Positive mellielong On Mar 12, 2005, mellielong from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted these late last year and they bloomed reasonably well. They overwintered just fine here in zone 9b, and were one of the first things to bloom this year and now they are unstoppable! They have also really spread out; the biggest is probably 3-4 feet wide. I only had about five plants and yet they covered my entire flower bed and were trying to grow into the yard. They also climbed up my hydrangeas without any encouragement. I grew mine in fairly deep shade and yet they still bloomed outrageously. Definitely recommend, the color is so unique.

Positive norska On Feb 13, 2005, norska from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have planted the regular Wave petunias in the past, so I was looking forward to the new Tidal Wave. I found they were a little slower to get started after I transplanted them. Of course, I didn't fuss or encourage them at all, so with a little more attention, they might have started spreading sooner. I think they just like the hot weather more.

I planted them in May, but they really didn't take off until July. And did they take off! They enjoyed growing up into my azalea bushes, and threatened to climb my junipers, until I redirected some of the boughs to continue along the azaleas(only because I thought the flowers looked silly against the juniper needles) 18-24" spread? HA! I was getting 3-4 foot spread on some individual plants.

They also wanted to keep going into the winter. Even though they had stopped flowering, the plants were still alive and growing when we got back from Christmas vacation, even after several hard freezes. They finally succumbed in the January chill. They might have been bouyed by a microclimate, since they were near our east-facing front door, with some pavement and brick front to keep the area a little warmer. I'm looking forward to getting more Tidal Waves this year!

Positive TamiMcNally On May 24, 2004, TamiMcNally from Lake Placid, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Silver/white blooms with dark purple centers
Botrytis resistant
Will grow in containers
Will grow taller if spaced close together

Jacumba, California