PlantFiles: Climbing Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Aloha'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Aloha
Additional cultivar information: (PP948)
Hybridized by Boerner; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1949

Other Details:
Salt-tolerant
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Positive hamdengrower On Jun 14, 2011, hamdengrower from Hamden, CT wrote:

This rose is gorgeous. I got a many cuttings from my boss and one was successful (I'm a novice so I was excited with one). Always reading how roses love as much sun as you can possibly give them I put it in the sunniest place in my yard. It grows prolifically but I fear it might be too hot and sunny, even here in Z6 Southern CT. The flower petals always brown as if getting burned. Obviously doesn't stop this shrub from pushing out an incredible number of roses. This Spring 2011 I pruned it hard, down to about 12-18". It's now 5' and coverd in buds and blooms. It's in its 3rd full summer now.

Positive StPeter On Feb 5, 2011, StPeter from Erie, PA wrote:

We have about 30 of these roses surrounding our iron fence at St. Peter Cathedral here in Erie, PA. They are prolific bloomers, smell heavenly and are very showy. Most of the plants were planted 40 years ago and are still growing like crazy. No black spot or bug issues as well. They grow like prolifically...but the work on them is usually repaid by their beauty. Perhaps the bells that chime from the cathedral steeple keep them happy? I am proud to be the current "keeper" of the St.Peter roses....stop bye and look ...especially in June...next time while in Erie!

Mike

Neutral Joan On May 8, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 948 has expired
Positive MudcatJanie On Jun 24, 2007, MudcatJanie from Hillsborough, NC wrote:

This is my favorite rose. Easy as pie to root, wonderful fragrance, good desease resistance. Bloom color in the cool fall is a deeper, almost coral pink. It was growing here when we bought our 1911 bungalow, and is seen in the yards of old mill houses throughout Hillsborough, NC, probably a pass-along plant among the ladies who worked in the Cone and Flint Fabric mills. Every few years I prune it hard, like a hybrid tea, and the following spring, will get mostly single budded, long-stemmed blooms. I have most of the Aloha's growing at the very back of a large, street facing garden, and only the top third of the plant is visible from the street, so knobby knees don't much matter. Most years I prune very high, topping-off, really. Then, the top third of the shrub is completely covered by clusters of somewhat smaller blooms.

Although it can get quite tall (6-7 feet in my zone 7 garden), I consider it too stiff to call a climber.

Positive TwoPrincesses On Jun 12, 2006, TwoPrincesses from Erie, PA wrote:

I LOVE this rose!! Beautiful full flowers and smells great! I planted mine along a picket fence and use ties to get the branches to drape along the fence. Tons of flowers and no special care at all. One of my favorites!!

Positive gardenergail On Jun 23, 2005, gardenergail from Bay, AR (Zone 7a) wrote:

This rose was growing at an old house we bought outside town on a gravel road. Had to be moved due to foundation work... in JULY. Dug down 2ft and finally had to chop the main root off! It resprouted the next year! Transplant never missed a lick! Impressive bloomer, disease resistant, hardy, practically indestructible for me. Wonderful, potpourri-making fragrance, and easily propagated! I've turned the one transplant into 5 plants in the last 5 years! FABULOUS! Didn't know heritage until last year, and SO glad I found out it's history!

Neutral Paulwhwest On May 26, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in the United States. Won the Award of Garden Merit (RHS/RNRS) in 2001.

Parentage:

Mashpee, Massachusetts
Clinton, Mississippi
Freehold, New Jersey
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Erie, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Maryville, Tennessee