Perennial Peanut, Ornamental Peanut
Arachis glabrata

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arachis (a-RAK-is) (Info)
Species: glabrata (GLAB-rah-tuh) (Info)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

By simple layering

By tip layering

Auburndale, Florida

Brooksville, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

Crestview, Florida

Deltona, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (3 reports)

Gainesville, Florida

Lady Lake, Florida

Lakeland, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida (2 reports)

Palm City, Florida

Palm Harbor, Florida

Punta Gorda, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (3 reports)

Seminole, Florida

Henderson, Nevada

Camuy, Puerto Rico

On Sep 8, 2014, TicoGringo from Santa Barbara, Heredia
Costa Rica wrote:

This plant was growing on my property when I bought it, and I never knew what it was before today. I live in the tropics where we have six months of rainy season and six months of dry season. My place is in the mountains, and I have very steep slopes in places. This plant is great for the slopes where erosion can be a real problem during rains - the mani plant holds the soil in place very efficiently. It is also very drought tolerant and remains green in the driest part of the dry season. It does spread, but the spread rate is not too high. An added benefit is that it stays close to the ground, so it doesn't really require mowing (or give cover to snakes). Of course the delicate yellow flowers are a major plus. I have only just learned of its value as livestock fodder, so I haven... read more

On Feb 4, 2012, KaraDean from Henderson, NV wrote:

i really have to get this plant for my yard. Where can I get it in Las Vegas, NV and will it grow well in our heat?

On Jun 5, 2008, maxkendall from Highland Park, FL wrote:

this plant does not seed - it grows by rhizomes.... therefore there is no propagation other than live planting. I have not yet planted but have friends who have and are extremely pleased and glad to have a green lawn that is basically resistant to problems.

On Jun 17, 2006, MzMunchken from Crestview, FL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have a very steep incline in my backyard and each time we would get a hard rain more and more of the hill would wash away, creating huge gulleys. I bought a tray of starter plants in June 2005 and although listed as tender they withstood our many nights freezes into the low 20's. It is spreading and at the rate that it is growing the entire hill should be covered by the end of summer 2006.

On Jul 30, 2004, denisse from Camuy, PR wrote:

Resistant to drought conditions. Might exhibit iron deficiency (yellowing) on new leaves in alkaline soils. Difficult to eradicate once established as underground parts sprout up again after clearance.

On May 25, 2004, TamiMcNally from Lake Placid, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Used as a groundcover
Can be mowed as low as 1.5"
Spreads, but slowly