PlantFiles: Carrot
Daucus carota 'Yellowstone'

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Daucus (DO-kus) (Info)
Species: carota (kar-OH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Yellowstone

» View all varieties of Carrots

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Inconspicuous/none

By Pitcom
Thumbnail #1 of Daucus carota by Pitcom

Positive NicoleC On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC from Madison, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Mildly sweet and spicy in a pale yellow package. My crop had a hint of a peppery bite to it that will not please many carrot fans but I thought was an interesting change.

Neutral Pitcom On May 24, 2011, Pitcom from Avondale, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Out of all the carrots I grow, these are my least favorite. They are ok, but have a very strong flavor that is not all too sweet. I am a real carrot lover so i could tolerate these, but everyone i gave carrots too commented they did not like these. When cooked, they will overpower other vegetable flavors if you mix them together. I still have a new pack of seeds but i didn't even plant any this spring. Maybe i will give these another shot as a fall crop.

I grew these again as a fall crop this year and i had much better results. The carrots were huge and gorgeous, but tasted much the same. They made decent juice mixed with some other veggies, but i think i will pass on these in the future. The taste is just too strong and slightly bitter to enjoy eating freshly picked for me.

Negative ineedacupoftea On Nov 17, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

A pretty thing, but it tasted terrible. I will try eating one very young next year, but the just less-than-harvest-days thing I ate this year was like chewing a root- carrot or otherwise. A bit fiberous and flavor like an overripe carrot.

If next year proves better, I'll change the rating.

Neutral Emaewest On Oct 11, 2004, Emaewest from Timberlea, NS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very pretty colour, ranging from bright lemon yellow to gold. Medium-sized, sweet, and tender.

I will likely grow them again if the seed is available locally, but I doubt I would trouble myself looking elsewhere for them if they weren't.
Rhonda

Neutral Farmerdill On May 26, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A bright yellow open pollinated Imperator type. A home garden cultivar.

Madison, Alabama