PlantFiles: Carrot
Daucus carota 'Thumbelina'

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Daucus (DO-kus) (Info)
Species: carota (kar-OH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Thumbelina
Additional cultivar information: (aka Paris Market Thumbelina)
Hybridized by Seminis; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1990

Synonym:Daucus carota var. sativus

» View all varieties of Carrots

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Inconspicuous/none

By Emaewest
Thumbnail #1 of Daucus carota by Emaewest

Positive luv2garden23 On Jan 6, 2005, luv2garden23 from Greenacres, WA wrote:

Thumbelina carrots were the funnest carrots I have ever grown. They are perfect in soups and stews. I grow an organic garden and sell my produce at a local Farmer's Market. People loved the Thumbelina's and kids especially loved them! I watched the children walking around munching on the bite size, sweet nuggets. These are easy to grow and do well even in the rocky soil I have up here in Eastern Washington State.

Positive Lettuceman On Jan 5, 2005, Lettuceman from Dayton, WA wrote:

For steamed-cooked carrots, this one is hard to beat. A very tasty raw carrot as well. Easy to grow.

Positive Emaewest On Sep 1, 2004, Emaewest from Timberlea, NS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Thumbelina carrots are bite-sized, crispy and moderately sweet. They can be grown in very shallow containers--I used Fiber Paks that were only three inches deep. They mature very quickly--around 50 days, according to the seed packet. If you're looking for a vegetable to get kids interested in gardening, try this. They taste a lot better than the bitter radishes my Mom would get me to grow when I was a kid! ; )

Rhonda

Neutral Farmerdill On May 26, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A beet shaped cultivar. A home garden or specialty market cultivar. Open pollinated.

Dayton, Washington