PlantFiles: Trumpet Narcissus, Trumpet Daffodil
Narcissus 'Dutch Master'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Narcissus (nar-SIS-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Dutch Master

» View all varieties of Daffodils

Division:
Division 1 - Trumpet

Blue-Green

This plant is resistant to deer
Flowers are good for cutting

By ladyrowan

Thumbnail #6 of Narcissus  by growin

By val0822
Thumbnail #7 of Narcissus  by val0822

Negative robwi On Apr 28, 2013, robwi from Milton, MA wrote:

I expect to get several years of bloom from daffodils. For instance, "Ice Follies" has bloomed reliably for 23 years in several different locations here in Massachusetts. Three years ago, I bought several hundred "Dutch Master" for my property, and they were spectacular for the first spring. But that was it. By the second spring, only about 10% bloomed. Perhaps 20% of the total planted were still alive, showing green leaves, but only half of these bloomed. By the third spring there were some blooms, but less again. I would really like to find a daffodil that looks like King Alfred/Dutch Master that is a reliable perennial like "Ice Follies" is.

Positive val0822 On Apr 9, 2010, val0822 from Media, PA wrote:

Purchased these from Brent & Becky's bulbs last fall. They're blooming now and look great. Did not do anything special when planting, although they are in a garden bed in pretty decent (normal) soil. I was looking for a nice classic bright yellow daffodil and that is just what I got!

Negative docturf On Apr 8, 2005, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

Dutch Master does not do very well in this part of upper coastal South Carolina. There are many other varieties which are far superior (Carlton, etc.).

Positive nevadagdn On Apr 7, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I assume I grow this variety--it's what was on the label from the bag of bulbs I bought at Lowe's a couple years ago. If not 'Dutch Master', then something very similar--tall, large-flowered, bright yellow.

Negative dcarlton On Apr 7, 2005, dcarlton from Omaha, NE wrote:

I planted Dutch Master bulbs two different years in two different locations in my yard. There was no sign of them after the first spring. I have heavy clay soil, but I have not had this problem with other daffodils.

Neutral 433kfj On Nov 16, 2004, 433kfj from klamath falls, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

At least I hope it grows here. The coldest I've ever seen was -20, so it should do o.k. I planted some "King Alfred" a few years ago and they look kind of scrawny and pale. Maybe I should have used bonemeal. I planted a few large groups this fall of Dutch Master (about 60 some bulbs) and put bonemeal in with them when I planted. I'll see how they do this spring, and maybe move the King Alfreds when it's time and add bonemeal. .....Update . Now the Dutch Masters have bloomed,and quite early for around here! We had a very warm spell in March (it came in like a lamb) but boy did it go out like a lion! The 'Masters started blooming in early March, but were really short! I was disappointed once again. But when the weather turned bad again and the temp's dropped, the stems started elongating and they are now the tall ones I had expected, but now the flowers are about dead! But they lasted a really long time, considering this is now late April, and they started blooming in early March! Some of the flowers closer to the house on the shady hill are still in real good shape. They bloomed later,though, but still at the same time as the purple crocus. What a nice combination that is. It seems to me this one likes it cold. The lows, after our warm spell, were in the mid '20's at night and somtimes not much above freezing in the day, lots of wind, hail, rain, snow, intermitent sunshine, you name it, and that is when they seem to have done their best! The King Alfred, on the other hand, only has leaves with no sign of buds. Its time to relocate and fertalize!

Positive ladyrowan On May 28, 2004, ladyrowan from Garberville, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

All-around "classic look" daffodil. Unlike Marieke, "Dutch Master's" petals are drawn slightly forward, almost dipping down. Ideal for Naturalizing along a drive, beneath a stand of trees, or on a hillside where they can be enjoyed, and won't be mowed down.

Garberville, California