PlantFiles: Reticulated Iris
Iris reticulata

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Species: reticulata (reh-tick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)

Class:

By lupinelover
Thumbnail #7 of Iris reticulata by lupinelover

Neutral narmaj On Oct 24, 2013, narmaj from Deventer
Netherlands (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love these early bloomers, but they don't return for me. I will try the tip of planting them really deep.
NL zone 8a

Positive bonehead On Feb 2, 2010, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Jolly early bloomer. Mine has returned every year and slowly developed into a thick clump (which needs dividing). I have this growing behind a mini daylilly, which hides the spent foliage of the iris well.

Positive Malus2006 On May 3, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I think they are not really an annual - they have hanged around for 3 to 4 years for me now. They are very lovely - look like Siberian iris but with a flair of their own - the leaves looks heavily waxed.

Positive chicochi3 On Mar 2, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

These bloom for me even earlier than the first daffodils. The first flower of Spring!

Positive wallaby1 On Mar 15, 2006, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Iris reticulata the species is said to be treated as an annual, as it often does not return with vigour, some do not return at all. If it is planted too shallowly it will split into several smaller bulbs and take another 7 years to flower.

By planting it 8" deep it will prevent it from dividing, and will continue to flower, but I have found that not all bulbs will regrow. Those that do are a delight.

Positive nevadagdn On Feb 28, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I don't think there's a reticulata variety I don't like. I've lost track of which one(s) I planted where, so I just enjoy the early spring show.

Positive revclaus On Apr 16, 2003, revclaus from (Judith) Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted this in a container full of spring flowering bulbs. I'd had no experience with this bulb. I was astonished that they were so beautiful! I'm planning to plant many more this fall.

Positive lupinelover On Apr 2, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

The clumps increase fairly quickly, and make a great show after a couple of years.

The length of bloom depends on the weather conditions: if it remains cool, mine have bloomed for 6 weeks. If the weather turns hot, the flowers can fade in a few days.

Positive jkom51 On Feb 27, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted the variety 'Cantab' of I.reticulata. Foliage is very fine and slender, almost like a Chinese garlic chive. Very short, pale blue blossoms are subtle but lovely.

Positive woodspirit1 On Oct 13, 2002, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I liked these little gems from nature because they bloom so early and the individual blooms last about 3 weeks. The leaves are short, if they appear at all, before the blooming.. Then the leaves start growing and can get over 18 inches tall, before they ripen. I found a beautiful pink/lavender selection at Park's and will get a photo when they bloom around here in February.
My soil is quite acid here in the mtns. of NC, but I don't know if that is a requirement.

Fayetteville, Arkansas