Reticulated Iris
Iris reticulata

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Species: reticulata (reh-tick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)

Class:

Lexington, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

On May 2, 2015, BeagleLuver from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

I just found some of these bulbs in my garage, a little dry, but don't look dead; I did soak them. I know I should have planted them in the fall, but lost sight of them and forgot them. Would there be any point in planting them now?

On Mar 11, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Flowers may be purple, blue-violet, true blue, ivory, or bicolored.

Fall planted bulbs all bloom well the first spring and then decline over the next three years or so. They don't naturalize well here in southern New England.

I agree with lokidog that the problem is that this species needs a dry summer rest, while in gardens of eastern N. America plants have to deal with regular summer rainfall (and irrigation). Planting in sharply draining soil may help.

Armitage (in Quebec and Georgia) says that when planted in large numbers, a few bulbs will adapt and multiply.

Flowers are 2-4" tall and bloom in crocus season. After the flower fades, the slender 4-angled leaves rise to 12-18" tall before going summer dormant.

On Dec 10, 2014, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the problem of these plants not coming up for people is not letting them go dormant and develop buds for the following year. They need to dry out in mid-summer in order to trigger this. In some climates where the rainfall is high, or near automatic sprinklers, this is not possible. But in others be sure to plant in a well-draining soil, and away from sprinklers. These are water-wise plants, though in extremely hot or low rainfall conditions they do need watering in the spring. There are many sources of information out there that are simply wrong - probably because they confuse these iris' with other water loving species (most iris are wetland plants - though the tall bearded or German iris is also a lover of well-drained conditions) The info about not letting them ... read more

On Oct 24, 2013, narmaj from Deventer
Netherlands (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love these early bloomers, but they don't return for me. I will try the tip of planting them really deep.
NL zone 8a

On Feb 2, 2010, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Jolly early bloomer. Mine has returned every year and slowly developed into a thick clump (which needs dividing). I have this growing behind a mini daylilly, which hides the spent foliage of the iris well.

On May 3, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I think they are not really an annual - they have hanged around for 3 to 4 years for me now. They are very lovely - look like Siberian iris but with a flair of their own - the leaves looks heavily waxed.

On Mar 2, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

These bloom for me even earlier than the first daffodils. The first flower of Spring!

On Mar 15, 2006, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Iris reticulata the species is said to be treated as an annual, as it often does not return with vigour, some do not return at all. If it is planted too shallowly it will split into several smaller bulbs and take another 7 years to flower.

By planting it 8" deep it will prevent it from dividing, and will continue to flower, but I have found that not all bulbs will regrow. Those that do are a delight.

On Feb 28, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I don't think there's a reticulata variety I don't like. I've lost track of which one(s) I planted where, so I just enjoy the early spring show.

On Apr 16, 2003, revclaus from (Judith) Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted this in a container full of spring flowering bulbs. I'd had no experience with this bulb. I was astonished that they were so beautiful! I'm planning to plant many more this fall.

On Apr 2, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

The clumps increase fairly quickly, and make a great show after a couple of years.

The length of bloom depends on the weather conditions: if it remains cool, mine have bloomed for 6 weeks. If the weather turns hot, the flowers can fade in a few days.

On Feb 27, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted the variety 'Cantab' of I.reticulata. Foliage is very fine and slender, almost like a Chinese garlic chive. Very short, pale blue blossoms are subtle but lovely.

On Oct 13, 2002, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I liked these little gems from nature because they bloom so early and the individual blooms last about 3 weeks. The leaves are short, if they appear at all, before the blooming.. Then the leaves start growing and can get over 18 inches tall, before they ripen. I found a beautiful pink/lavender selection at Park's and will get a photo when they bloom around here in February.
My soil is quite acid here in the mtns. of NC, but I don't know if that is a requirement.