PlantFiles: Hybrid Banksia Rose, Old Garden Rose, Species Cross Rose
Rosa 'Fortuniana'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Fortuniana
Additional cultivar information: (aka Bank's de Fortune, Double Cherokee, Fortuneana, Fortuniana)
Registered or introduced: 1850

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #2 of Rosa  by lancer23

Thumbnail #3 of Rosa  by lancer23

Thumbnail #4 of Rosa  by lancer23

Positive lancer23 On May 8, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I started my plant from a cutting from an old Victorian house that's going through a remodeling and the owner of this house has this wonderful white rose in the courtyard. It rooted easily and have lax cane that have hardly or no thorns. I first thought this is an Alberic Barbier rose but the bud's not yellow and the leaves are rather larger then Alberic's. Its one of the most healthiest rose I've ever grown. When I finally met the real Alberic, I realized that Fortuniana is better then Alberic because the latter has a lot of mildew and flower heads are slightly smaller and flobbier in my location.
If there's a weakness in Fortuniana is at the beginning of the season the buds do ball and not open properly but as temp goes up there's no problem at all. And once the bloom is cut, it doesn't last as long expected. Its a rather good looking bloom. I guess its the lady bank influences which lend itself to shorter shelf life. You have to cut them as a bud and last about 3 days in a vase but last much longer left blooming on the plant.

Positive LineyLou On May 28, 2009, LineyLou from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I was lucky; I wanted to order this rose from the "Antique Rose Emporium", but they were out of stock. I knew that "Fortuniana" Roses were used as a grafted understock for roses grown in the South,because they resist pathogens & weather pests easily.. It is a beautiful, fragrant rose in its own right, & deserves to be offered for sale more than it is; its an insult to see it grafted onto so many puny & oft scentless cultivars.
I could not believe my luck when I noticed that the "Jackson & Perkins"rose I'd bought, which was grafted on "Fortuniana" rootstock;sprouted characteristic Fortuniana foliage (which was markedly different from the "Fouth of July"rose it was sharing space with.) I had been wondering how to coax suckers out of the original rootstock; & was considering a root cutting when the garden gods gifted me with what I wanted, & without any action on my part. I am eagerly awaiting blooms of both grafts. Does anyone know of a reliable way to encourage suckering of wanted grafted rootstocks that are not commonly sold in unaltered form?? I doubt this occurs easily by chance.

Positive zhenya On Feb 16, 2009, zhenya from Los Lunas, NM (Zone 6b) wrote:

Not a very large bloom, but it has a wonderful unusual violet fragrance and very beautiful willow-like leaves. It is spring blooming and very lady-like.

Neutral Paulwhwest On May 29, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in England. Named after the young Scottish undergardener Robert Fortune.

Parentage: