PlantFiles: Hybrid Banksia Rose, Old Garden Rose, Species Cross Rose
Rosa 'Fortuniana'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Fortuniana
Additional cultivar information: (aka Bank's de Fortune, Double Cherokee, Fortuneana, Fortuniana)
Registered or introduced: 1850

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings
By grafting
By budding
By simple layering
By air layering
By tip layering

Positive LineyLou On May 28, 2009, LineyLou from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I was lucky; I wanted to order this rose from the "Antique Rose Emporium", but they were out of stock. I knew that "Fortuniana" Roses were used as a grafted understock for roses grown in the South,because they resist pathogens & weather pests easily.. It is a beautiful, fragrant rose in its own right, & deserves to be offered for sale more than it is; its an insult to see it grafted onto so many puny & oft scentless cultivars.
I could not believe my luck when I noticed that the "Jackson & Perkins"rose I'd bought, which was grafted on "Fortuniana" rootstock;sprouted characteristic Fortuniana foliage (which was markedly different from the "Fouth of July"rose it was sharing space with.) I had been wondering how to coax suckers out of the original rootstock; & was considering a root cutting when the garden gods gifted me with what I wanted, & without any action on my part. I am eagerly awaiting blooms of both grafts. Does anyone know of a reliable way to encourage suckering of wanted grafted rootstocks that are not commonly sold in unaltered form?? I doubt this occurs easily by chance.

Positive zhenya On Feb 16, 2009, zhenya from Los Lunas, NM (Zone 6b) wrote:

Not a very large bloom, but it has a wonderful unusual violet fragrance and very beautiful willow-like leaves. It is spring blooming and very lady-like.

Neutral Paulwhwest On May 29, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in England. Named after the young Scottish undergardener Robert Fortune.

Parentage: