PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Marglobe'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Marglobe

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by passiflora_pink

By passiflora_pink
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by passiflora_pink

Neutral hibayray On Aug 16, 2014, hibayray from New Baltimore, MI wrote:

I planted just one marglobe between 4 early girl plants. Seems to be doing pretty good. Haven't had any ripe tomatoes yet although one early girl is starting to go red. I noticed the plant is a deeper green than the early girls, but has the same amount of tomatoes. This is the first time I've planted these varieties. Is marglobe a good variety for Michigan? An earlier post only mentioned southern states.

Positive juhur7 On Jul 31, 2012, juhur7 from Anderson, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've been growing this plant off and on since 1974,It is always in the garden when I have one. I have always enjoyed the variance of size and taste,and seed saving even gives more variation.The particular batch of seed I have this season is from trade and it had been a few years since I had grown any.The tomatoes are smaller and fewer than usual this season with drought conditions, only the plant is sturdy and green and does not require as much attention as many.I am prejudice about this tomato though as it is one of my long time favorites.A fine old Heirloom.

Positive catmad On Jun 22, 2007, catmad from Pelzer, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was very glad to see the post commenting on the variation in fruit shape/size in Marglobes. I have found the same thing, and didn't know if it was a problem. Most grow in clusters of two or three, with one large, almost beefsteak tomato, and the other(s) smaller and heart-shaped. Oddly, the second Marglobe plant is pretty consistent in size and shape as far as I can tell. I don't know about the color or taste yet, as none are ripe.
Margo C

Positive kyle_and_erika On Jun 9, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

We love marglobe. It is one of Kyle's favorites. The fruit's size, shape, taste, color really vary - even on the same plant. We have gotten pointed (heart shaped) tomatoes, beefsteak- like shape, and round all from the same plant at the same picking. The fruit color is the same way - orange, red, and pink - again, all from the same plant.

I like the variation. The taste varies quite a bit too. It can go from real good to reeaallly goood. If I was in a situation to grow only one variety I would be tempted to grow marglobe because of this variation - like getting two or three varieties in one.

Marglobe is hugely popular here in the Ozarks, where plants can be purchased even at local grocery stores. This really impressed Erika as she is from NY where apparently only commercial varieties are readily available.

With its ability to set fruit till frost and prolific yields make it a real workhorse. Try it sometime, its full of surprises.

Positive Farmerdill On Nov 24, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Developed in 1917 by Fred J. Pritchard of the USDA by crossing 'Marvel' and 'Globe'. Released in 1925. One of the first disease resistant strains with a good resistance to Verticillium and Fusarium wilt. This was the canning tomato of choice for us in the forties. It is a small 6 ounce tomato, but very smooth and prolific.

Munford, Alabama