Blanket Flower, Indian Blanket, Gaillardia
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Fanfare'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaillardia (gay-LAR-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: x grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Fanfare
Additional cultivar information:(PP15892)
Hybridized by Read
Registered or introduced: 2002

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Patented

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Covina, California

Port Edwards, Wisconsin

Casper, Wyoming

negative

On Jul 13, 2014, janiemclaughlin from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I planted annual Gaillardia/Indian blanket seeds about 4 years ago and after plants reseeded several years one plant (out of hundreds) has the "fanfare-type" blooms. So, either this is a naturally occurring mutation or a bird dropped the seed from another garden. It is an attractive bloom and I hope to collect some seeds to see if the offspring have same petal form.

On Jul 20, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I was impressed by Fanfare's non-stop blooming last summer. This is a great border plant with bright colors. In our area we have heavy clay soil, and blanket flowers generally do not like it. However, all but one Fanfare out of 6 returned this year and they are all blooming nonstop again. Even if they are short-lived, I like them and will get more. Also, this variety is compact and full -- some of the other gaillardias get thin and leggy and the foliage sometimes looks ratty.

On Nov 26, 2009, bgp1 from Tecumseh, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I ordered several of these plants and it looked like they were going to grow great. They bloomed and looked wonderful but then randomly one died. Then, one by one, each of the 6 started to dry up and die. These are not long-lived in Michigan. Unfortunate since they look so nice.

On Nov 24, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a very beautiful plant, but I find it trickier to keep this Gaillardia alive. Maybe it's my watering practises. But the Goblins that are planted right among it do just fine. Out of 5 only 1 has survived.

On Jan 23, 2008, blomma from Casper, WY (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is an additional note for all varieties of Gaillardias.
I have grown varieties of Gaillardia grandiflora for many years in zone 4 and 5. I have also grown 'Fanfare', which I purchased through a nursery. Only the last one was bought as a plant, others I started from seed.

I have found from experience that no variety comes true from seeds, unless purchased in one color. The variety 'Burgundy' will come true from seed if purchased as such. These plants self sows readily, sometimes too readily.

It is interesting to note that the 3rd generation of seeds from a plant is what often turns out to be an unusual type. I discovered a Fanfare type plant growing out of a crack in my driveway. The main plants were growing along the foundation of my house. I hav... read more

On Jul 13, 2007, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I wanted to add to all these raves, that this plant is extremely drought tolerant. I went out of town for 2 weeks and had a friend water my plants. I don't think she saw my potted Fanfare....and I came back to a horrible sight. But with a little trimming and a good watering, my fanfare came back and looks like it might bloom again before the summer ends.

It also made it through a very cold, wet winter here in CO and was the first of my perennials to break through in the spring. I'm a big fan of this plant! No pun intended....

On Jul 27, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Got it last year and loved it so much, I had to get another one this year. The blooms are dazzling and beautiful!

On Feb 22, 2006, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Great plant, Blooms late Spring through frost. In its second year it developed a second plant. I was not sure if it came from mother plant or seed. The blooms were the same. Linda

On Feb 21, 2006, amandawalczak from Covina, CA wrote:

I have no idea where mine came from, and didn't find out what it actually was until today, but it's beautiful. I live by a HomeDepot and get volenteer plants sprouting up here and there but this by far is my best freebee. It popped up last summer and had such beutiful flowers that I ripped up everything around it to try and give it a good chance. I didn't touch it for almost a year because it was so pretty and doing so well, I didn't want to ruin it. It's been blooming constantly (although sometimes only a few flowers) since I first noticed it.....winter and all.

On Sep 8, 2005, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Easy, self-sufficient and a continuous bloomer.

On Jun 17, 2005, emilyrasmus from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

'Fanfare' bloomed non-stop even through the winter and only rested for about 6 weeks before new blooms began appearing on a regular basis again. Not a fussy plant and does best in full sun.

On May 10, 2005, Zarebeth from Circle Pines, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

It bloomed all summer, and is popping up for a return show this spring, even with no mulch in Zone 4b. I loved it!

On Oct 1, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Fanfare is a compact, mounding Gaillardia sporting flowers with a dark red center surrounded by a single row of yellow petals that look like small torches with red throats. Absolutely gorgeous! This plant is very hardy and easy to maintain with a long bloom season, blooming from spring to fall with proper deadheading. Cut back hard at the end of the season.

On Aug 23, 2004, walksaved from Spokane, WA wrote:

I got this cultivar from a nursery this spring and planted it in full sun to face our dry hot Spokane summer. I drip irrigate but with a new plant I expected some stress. This plant is a keeper. It has shown no signs of stress and has bloomed non-stop for nearly three months. Perhaps I should let it relax and go to seed, but the flowers are so striking I find myself pinching them back "one more time." The nursery promises no problem with winter. We'll see.