PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Better Bush'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Better Bush

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by vossner

By vossner
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by vossner

Positive royy On Apr 1, 2014, royy from Keys, OK wrote:

had good success with 3 better bush plants here in east ok, tahlequah area....will plant again this year along with mountain pride bush tomato

Positive vossner On Nov 28, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Since we are lucky to be able to grow spring and fall tomatoes, I selected Better Bush as one to try in fall. Fast grower, had no desease problems whatsoever and was a heavy producer. Literature says it does not require support, but I had it caged and can't imagine the mess I'd have had otherwise. Sweet tasting. Highly recommend.

Positive MG44 On May 25, 2011, MG44 from South Boston, VA wrote:

This is a fairly fast growing, thick bodied plant that supports its fruit well with minimal support. I do use small cages, just to avoid wind damage. So far, no problems with the usual tomato disease issues. Leaves remain healthy dark green without fertilization. Should have ripe tomatoes by June 6, which will be ahead of the early girl variety.

Positive DavidinTX On May 6, 2009, DavidinTX from Houston, TX wrote:

It's too early yet for me to judge this plant and its fruits. I bought some a month ago now from Home Depot, which oddly enough is a little more pricey than Walmart, or Lowes, but Home Depot is right behind my house. Don't quote me on this but I think Walmart were selling them at just over half the Home Depot price.

Within two weeks the plants had doubled in size with gentle care and enough sunlight. Now just a month on and I'm seeing my first tomato. here in Texas, and many flowers. It's my first experience with this plant so not knowing quite what to expect, I've used cages on them, and put them in large pots. They seem to be doing well on my patio.

Negative colomato On Mar 12, 2008, colomato from Broomfield, CO wrote:

Grew this in Colorado in '07. While my plants didn't necessarily require caging, the plants needed some sort of support. The taste wasn't anything memorable, some of them were a bit mushy. Not impressed, won't grow again.

Positive PhlowrsInPhilly On Jul 26, 2007, PhlowrsInPhilly from Philadelphia, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Unlike the previous experience listed- my plant needed a little support, but definitely didn't need a cage. I just put one stake in the five gallon bucket I grew it in so I could tie up the longer branches. Although Better Bush is listed as a Mid Season producer, for some reason it was a very early tomato for me (middle of June here in Philly)- so that was a plus. The flavor isn't the greatest compared to many others, but as it fruited so early for me (that winter and springtime tomato withdrawal), the tomatoes tasted like heaven until my other varieties started producing. Definitely worth it though- good producer, very early, and good flavor.

Positive kyle_and_erika On Jun 9, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

**this report is based on only three specimens, I dont feel that is enough plants to give a proper evaluation**

But I aint gonna let that stop me:
This plant was a huge disappointment for me, although it did preform as advertised(hence the "positive" rating). Keep in mind that we grow for a few specific markets and this plant is not suited for wholesale or fresh-market use. The yield is not there. However, we will grow a poor yielder if the taste is good enough in hopes of it being a hit with the home market but it didnt fulfill that requirement either.

That being said, this variety is not without its merits. It is small, requires no support and it is very early (mid may). The fact that it didnt need support appealed to my resistance to stake tomatoes in 90 degree weather. But it played on my persistence to sell loads of delicious tomatoes.

Willows, California