PlantFiles: Nodding Trillium, Northern Nodding Wake-robin
Trillium cernuum

Family: Trilliaceae
Genus: Trillium (TRIL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cernuum (SER-new-um) (Info)

Bulbs

Thumbnail #1 of Trillium cernuum by OhioBreezy

Thumbnail #2 of Trillium cernuum by OhioBreezy

Thumbnail #3 of Trillium cernuum by OhioBreezy

By Malus2006
Thumbnail #4 of Trillium cernuum by Malus2006

By Malus2006
Thumbnail #5 of Trillium cernuum by Malus2006

Positive Malus2006 On Apr 11, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is the Northern US species - said to be the most northern trillium species. In the southern US, many similar species occur and can confuse things - this species is found only as far south as Virginia and found no where else in the Southern US. The zone map may not be accurate - I think it is zone 3a (2?) to maybe zone 6 or 7 depending on how southern gardener are able to mimic the cool shady climate that it need. I used the book, Trilliums by Frederick W. Case, Jr. and Roberta B. Case for a few of the informations. This species may be the most common trillium in southern Minnesota. I forgot to add that to tell the different between this species and Declining trillum look at the petals - Nodding Trillium had recurving to strongly recurving petals like the plants that I have. Declining Trillium have more straighten out petals.

Positive OhioBreezy On May 31, 2004, OhioBreezy from Dundee, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

At first glance these are just pretty foliage, but when you bend over, then you see the beauty beneath the leaf! The flower stem literally bends down and the flower is under the leaf, such a stark bright white and perfect little 3 petalled flower. These were told to me NOT to grow in OH by a botanist here in OH, but after sending photo's of my plants to them, they totally agree this "nodding trillium" that does NOT grow in OH, DOES INDEED grow here in OH, at least here where I am. I would love to see it naturalize a little more here on my property :)

Isle, Minnesota