PlantFiles: Southern High Bush Blueberry
Vaccinium virgatum 'Misty'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vaccinium (vak-SIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: virgatum (vir-GA-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Misty

Synonym:Cyanococcus amoenus
Synonym:Vaccinium amoenum
Synonym:Vaccinium parviflorum

Edible Fruits and Nuts

4.5 or below (very acidic)

By palmbob
Thumbnail #1 of Vaccinium virgatum by palmbob

Positive Fires_in_motion On Jul 9, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

So far I only have this in a pot (3 gal.), but I just had to comment on how vigorous and beautiful of a plant it is. Even in this recent monthlong 95 heatwave, it has looked stellar, with the darkest, lushest green foliage of any blueberry species / variety I've ever seen. (I have about 12 species & varieties of Vaccinium.) And it's tall, with an elegant upward growth habit without pruning. In fact, at the nursery, I first thought it was a pineapple guava or some sort of holly. The nursery's owner told me he got a huge crop of fruit from it this spring. Anyway, based on its pot performance, I think this is going to be my favorite overall blueberry bush. As for the berries, the birds get most of mine anyway, so I don't really grow them with hopes to enjoy the fruit, but this variety's fruits are allegedly quite delicious.

Positive kcarneal On Feb 28, 2011, kcarneal from Del Mar, CA wrote:

I planted one Misty and one O'Neal in containers next to each other two years ago in a highly acidic soil mix. Starting in January, the Misty was covered with flowers and huge, sweet blueberries. The O'Neal is just budding out a month later. The hummingbirds that overwintered here in San Diego are visiting the flowers every day.

Neutral Farmerdill On May 31, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1989 Florida release,Misty has a chilling requirement of about 200 hours. Large blue berry on a moderately vigorous plant.This one tends to over fruit and requires pruning the fruiting branches to relieve stress on the plant. Like all southern high bush it is self infertile.

Casa De Oro-mount Helix, California