Southern High Bush Blueberry
Vaccinium virgatum 'Misty'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vaccinium (vak-SIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: virgatum (vir-GA-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Misty
Synonym:Cyanococcus amoenus
Synonym:Vaccinium amoenum
Synonym:Vaccinium parviflorum

Edible Fruits and Nuts

4.5 or below (very acidic)

Casa De Oro-mount Helix, California

Welaka, Florida

Jenks, Oklahoma

Grand Mound, Washington

On Jul 9, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

So far I only have this in a pot (3 gal.), but I just had to comment on how vigorous and beautiful of a plant it is. Even in this recent monthlong 95 heatwave, it has looked stellar, with the darkest, lushest green foliage of any blueberry species / variety I've ever seen. (I have about 12 species & varieties of Vaccinium.) And it's tall, with an elegant upward growth habit without pruning. In fact, at the nursery, I first thought it was a pineapple guava or some sort of holly. The nursery's owner told me he got a huge crop of fruit from it this spring. Anyway, based on its pot performance, I think this is going to be my favorite overall blueberry bush. As for the berries, the birds get most of mine anyway, so I don't really grow them with hopes to enjoy the fruit, but this variety'... read more

On Feb 28, 2011, kcarneal from Del Mar, CA wrote:

I planted one Misty and one O'Neal in containers next to each other two years ago in a highly acidic soil mix. Starting in January, the Misty was covered with flowers and huge, sweet blueberries. The O'Neal is just budding out a month later. The hummingbirds that overwintered here in San Diego are visiting the flowers every day.

On May 31, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1989 Florida release,Misty has a chilling requirement of about 200 hours. Large blue berry on a moderately vigorous plant.This one tends to over fruit and requires pruning the fruiting branches to relieve stress on the plant. Like all southern high bush it is self infertile.