Double Pink Soapwort, Bouncing Bet, Goodbye Summer
Saponaria officinalis 'Flore Pleno'

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Saponaria (sap-oh-NAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: officinalis (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Flore Pleno

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Grayslake, Illinois

Iowa City, Iowa

Mathiston, Mississippi

Philadelphia, Mississippi

Bessemer City, North Carolina

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Spicewood, Texas

On Jul 2, 2007, moccasin from Kelowna, BC (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant mysteriously appeared after we had a house fire at the farm where we lived. It had never been planted and showed up in two distinct areas - not near the hotspot. I have uploaded some photos. Would be interested in knowing how it came to just grow there. We left the farm shortly after the pictures were taken, so do not know if it grew again in any subsequent years. In all my years of gardening and photographing blooms and plants, I had not seen this one before (or since) in the Southern Interior of BC Canada - Zone 5, but I have not asked for it at any of the garden centres. Must do that ... ;) It has taken me 3 years just to find out what it was!!!!

On Apr 11, 2007, DorisS from Bucharest
Romania (Zone 6b) wrote:

I live in Bucharest, Romania (zone 6-7) and I had some real trouble in identifying my neighbour's beautiful saponaria (I know NOW)... He didn't know the name of the plant, he just told me that farmers use to wash their hands with it (and that's how I find it on the web)... Anyway, the flowers are pure white and I've been really intrigued with its flowering period... It had flowers in December (a bit frozen :) and it's full of flowers now, April 11th! This plant has been flowering continuously since he planted it! The fragrance is subtle and delicate. I am trying to propagate it, so hopefully I'll have one too :)

On Jun 28, 2006, msfarmergirl from Philadelphia, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

My husband's grandmother planted this flower here years ago and it has stayed within its boundaries. It surrounds what is now the stump of an old redbud tree. I did not identify it until this year because my husband had cut it down previously weedeating. Next year I will support it somehow because presently it is just sprawled on the ground. My Mom says that her Mom and Grandma had this flower as well. Mom now has it in her small cottage garden and it has not spread or become invasive. Side note: she tends her garden daily so that may not be a good example of whether it would get out of control somewhere else.