PlantFiles: Sweet Cherry
Prunus avium 'Bing'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: avium (AY-vee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Bing

By creekwalker
Thumbnail #3 of Prunus avium by creekwalker

By IslandJim
Thumbnail #4 of Prunus avium by IslandJim

Positive jimbodw07 On Nov 27, 2011, jimbodw07 from Pinon Hills, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This cherry tree grows rapidly compared to most cherries trees. I planted this tree last year with a trunk diameter of about 1 inch and now this year, it has a diameter of about 3 inches. The flowers are beautiful in the spring and during the fall, the leaves turn colors with reds, oranges, and yellows. It's beautiful in the fall! I haven't had any cherries yet and I assume it's because the tree is still young. I have had no problems with this tree so far even though it's growing in sandy compacted soil.

Neutral LadyFoxx1179 On May 31, 2011, LadyFoxx1179 from Oconto, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to get 30 ft tall. Most I've seen are 20 ft at most. Black gold is a very good pollinator for it though.

Positive Yafang On May 4, 2011, Yafang from Guelph

Hello everyone! I'm from south Ontario, Canada. I got a cherry tree grafted with 4 verieties include Bing. Now here comes a problem would not get solved by my poor experience: do I still need another cherry tree to be the pollinator? I would like to try planting a cherry tree but as it can grow into a giant, I probably don't have enough space for 2 giants to stay together in my front yard! I hope someone has the genius answer. Thanks in advance!

Positive Amoena On Mar 5, 2011, Amoena from Nashville, TN wrote:

I planted a standard-size Bing cherry in my yard three years ago. The tree was obtained from a local hardware store. The same year I also ordered several cherry trees from a mail order nursery, so that Bing would have a polinator. Sadly, the mail order trees did not survive, (I suspect due to arriving far too late for planting in my area.) Bing, however, has exceded my wildest expactations! The tree grew from aprox 4 feet tall at planting to 8 feet by the end of summer. The following year, it doubled in size again, and is currently aprox 16 feet tall with a 4-inch trunk. It is apparent that the tree does not enjoy our prolonged summer heat, as it's leaves look yellow and tattered by the end of summer, however it continues to grow like a trooper.
I have since obtained several more fine trees locally, and hope to have my first cherry crop this year.

Neutral Tskstar On May 11, 2009, Tskstar from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

What other cherry tree makes the best pollinator for the "Bing" cherry?

Positive Kameha On Apr 22, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Such memories this tree brings back! I grew up in Western Pennsylvania. There was an enormous Bing Cherry tree on the western part of the yard, and every spring it would erupt with the most beautiful blossoms. The best part was in summer when the tree was loaded with sweet, plump, red cherries and you had to climb the tree and pick them before the birds got to them. This is my favorite tasting of all cherries...my mom used to bake pies of them and that's still my favorite pie in the world. Things change and now I live in Florida where we can't grow temperate cherries.

It does need a pollinator...my dad had a black tartarian cherry tree to pollinate. Its cherries were good but nowhere near as good as the bing cherries.

Positive Terry On May 31, 2004, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of the most widely-known commercial varieties, 'Bing' has large, heart-shaped deep cherry red fruit. Good for eating fresh and for canning. Requires another variety for pollination.

Concho, Arizona