Pink Powderpuff

Calliandra emarginata

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Calliandra (kal-ee-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: emarginata (e-mar-jin-NAY-tuh) (Info)

Boca Raton, Florida

Plaquemine, Louisiana

North Tonawanda, New York

Zapata, Texas

On Nov 13, 2013, AridTropics from Bradenton , FL wrote:

After 2 years here in the garden, I have to say that this Calliandra species is one of the most colorful exotic shrubs I have worked with. It is also quite a trooper, putting up with the constantly changing summer weather here.

Even if it never flowered, the nice, wide leaflets of this species lend something tropical to it's overall appearance. With flowers, it stands out when it boldly pops with color. While it can (and does) flower on and off at any time during the year here, stopping only during the dead of winter, it is at its best through the summer months when the entire plant seems to flower in spectacular waves at a time. Even so, seed pods are far and few between. Regardless, it is the must defend plant among all the Hummingbirds when it puts on a show.
... read more

On Feb 17, 2012, morningloree from Heathrow, FL wrote:

I have planted it in my pool planter, where it has survived two cold snaps, no problem. It gets morning sun and dappled afternoon sun. Very pretty and unique. I hope to start some from seed. Perfect specimen for poolside planters.

On May 1, 2011, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

i had these in the Keys and really loved them...so much that i brought one to central florida with me. i didn't realize how cold it could get here and the second year in ground, it froze to the soil line. the next spring it popped up like nothing had happened. this has happened several times now and it comes back better each spring.
i actually decided to dig it out altogether and i thought i got it all but apparently not because it is still thriving and blooming. these bloom in flushes from spring to frost many times over. if you have more than one, they will put themselves on a same time bloom schedule within several months time of being planted which i think is really cool.
they are prone to bugs but i don't even worry about it. it's a tough plant.

On Sep 25, 2010, jesh from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased a home in Hernando County Florida in late winter. Some of the plants in the yard were without leaves and frankly, looked dead; but I let them go until spring when the 3 old, unrecognizable, chopped off bushes in the front turned out to be crape myrtles, glad I waited. In the back were thin leafless brown stalks of something, could have been a weed for all I knew. I finally removed the stalks, cut them to the ground. Something started growing from the center of those stalks and I see from this website that it is a Pink Powder Puff. It's quite lovely. I've done nothing to it but cut it down, it's growing in sand on the east side of the house getting some sun and some shade and only getting watered by the rain, no drought this summer. So, from my experience, they don't need... read more

On Jul 10, 2010, markdeutsch from Pass Christian, MS wrote:

To peterKR; Fertilizing your Calliandra's was likely the problem. I believe they fix there own nitrogen. It's in Mimosacea. When I fertilizied my Summer Chocolate mimosa, it quickly died. Your Calliandra probably improved because the watering diluted the fertilizer.

On May 7, 2009, PeterKr from West Palm Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

My landscaper planted a row of these next to our house; despite much fertilizing they have withered, put out almost no new leaves and few flowers. Finally I got a soaker hose and have been watering them almost daily. There is already a major difference with new growth emerging after about six months of dormancy. I think the Florida drought was a problem despite irrigation. They clearly need lots of water!

On Apr 17, 2007, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I started this plant from seed in late winter 2005. As of today , April 17, 2007 it is all of 8 inches tall and has flowered for the first time. Since I am in zone 6 I have to grow it in a container and overwinter it inside but it is so cute that it is worth it. I also have to C. californicas that I started from seed last year but have not yet started to bloom.

On Jul 2, 2006, dceldridge from Shepherdstown, WV (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased this as a "Dwarf Powderpuff" for a small terrarium. No sooner did I get it home and place it in a terrarium, located in a sunroom, than the leaves started growing from a length of a half inch to over 2 inches in length. Since the plant is crowding the terrarium, I will have to repot it and try it without the terrarium.

On Jun 2, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Large calliandra with relatively large leaves and flowers, from southern Mexico and central America. Looks a lot like Calliandra haematocephala. The one I saw had pink flowers, though.