Satake Palm
Satakentia liukiuensis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Satakentia (sah-tah-KEN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: liukiuensis
Synonym:Gulubia liukiuensis

Palms

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)

Cape Coral, Florida

Jensen Beach, Florida

Lake Worth, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

Port Charlotte, Florida

On Jan 14, 2011, Mandrew968 from Miami, FL wrote:

Once an adult, this palm is spectacular! It is reported that these palms can withstand temperatures just below freezing, but this does not mean juveniles and seedlings. My four footer took the recent cold snaps(35F) well, with only minor leaf tip burn. The books list this palm as a slow grower, but my palm has demonstrated vigorous growth(a bit faster than a new frond a month). Mine is in partial shade. I thought it was going to grow into the position but the extra sun was causing the palm to yellow. I tried counteracting this with near monthly nutrient applications. The growth kept up but so did the yellowing, and when that combined with the slight freeze damage, I decided to decrease it's sun exposure by adding shade cloth. Pushing the limit as far as sun exposure will, no doubt, place i... read more

On Mar 31, 2008, amygirl from Miami, FL wrote:

Actually, Satakentia is from an island off of southern Japan. It is quite cold hardy for us in Miami, and has not shown cold damage even after temps below 32. The seeds must be collected from the palm (do not wait until they drop off), cleaned immediately and placed in water until planting. The seeds must not dry out, otherwise viability is lost. It is a beautiful palm and well worth growing. When young and in a container, spider mites may be a problem. Fungus may also be an issue for young specimens (1-3 years old). I find that a weekly spray of superthrive is very helpful. We also pot our seedlings into an acid soil mix. In fact, I am going to pot up some seedlings this morning at our nursery!

On Jun 2, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful pinnate leaf solitary palm from an island off Japan. It has a chocolate colored crownshaft (as the leaf ages) and perfectly arranged, drooping leaflets along a gently arching rachis. This is a real treasure of a palm, and folks here in So Cal have tried over and over to grow it here.. with a few pitiful successes. VERY mariginal in zone 10a! Does much better in the tropics.