African Daisy, Cape Daisy
Osteospermum 'Soprano Light Purple'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Osteospermum (oss-tee-oh-SPUR-mum) (Info)
Cultivar: Soprano Light Purple

Violet/Lavender

Rubbery-Textured

Lompoc, California

New Haven, Connecticut

Winter Springs, Florida

Hayesville, North Carolina

On Nov 25, 2007, amethystsm from belleville, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

i had very few blooms on this plant. The plant did fine, but all summer i never had more than one or two flowers at a time - often none at all. Then in late September/early October ot took off and gave me 4 or 5 at a time, until November when it finally got too cold.

On Dec 11, 2005, CastIronPlant22 from Lompoc, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This, like the other freeway daisy's are very easy to grow. They dont mind drought and always seem to be blooming. I LOVE the orange flowerd one and also the yellow one. My grandparents have these (the purple, white flowered ones) growing on a bank that has clay/dry soil and the temps in the summer reach 100 degrees. They always seem to bloom though. They kind of look ratty/tacky after a long bloom period, just cut them to the ground and within a few weeks you will have a whole new plant. They do seem to re-seed often, but if you have the room to let it, by all means let it re-seed and grow many more freeway daisy's.

On Feb 1, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

First thing I ever grew from seeds in Spring 2004. Plan to grow some more this year. Tender perennial. Gets leggy, I plan to cut mine to about 4-5" from ground in late Feb. to get them bushy. Full of blooms in the spring, and sporadically in the fall. No flowers for me in the summer.