Dwarf Tree Fern
Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady'

Family: Blechnaceae
Genus: Blechnum (BLEK-num) (Info)
Species: gibbum (GIB-bum) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Lady

Saint Augustine, Florida

Ladys Island, South Carolina

Galveston, Texas

On Apr 2, 2009, Plant_Man_28 from Saint Augustine, FL wrote:

I planted this fern July 2008, neighbor forclosed house and told me I could dig it up. so i did. planted it in too much sun, Leaves turned brown on the tips and yellow. I moved it to a moist spot where it only gets pure sunshine until 11:30, it did much better. Kept growin and loookin so good until a hard freeze. I covered it but all the leaves turned brown with a 20 F low temp. A couple weeks later I saw a lil' green leaf way down there, and it grew. Now I have about 15 fronds and this ol' fern is lookin perrty again. So there you have it , she's hardy and looks great in a shady place for afternoons but sun in the AM.

On Dec 10, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady' is the same plant as Blechnum gibbum... Silver Lady is a common name only. These two entries should be combined.

On Dec 9, 2006, pdn4ts20 from Raleigh, NC wrote:

In Raleigh N.C., these ferns are spectacular when grown in the shade. My only experience is in containers, not in ground. I have noticed that with too much direct sun, the fronds become dark and thin. With a little morning sun and shade from 10-11am on, the fronds grow really wide and stay a stunning bright green. Their shape is also an eye-catcher, I have had many a guest ask what kind of "palm" it is. I have tried to over winter inside but the plants suffer considerably and take a long time to get going the following spring.

On Aug 17, 2004, JardineraNueva from Fremont, CA wrote:

Lovely fern that doesn't seem to mind all the water my lawn sprinkler throws at it. Her sisters who don't get sprayed as much don't like to go dry.

On Aug 4, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Attractive small tree fern, I would have a picture but my puppy dug it up and ate it!