Giant Air Plant, Spreading Airplant, Giant Wild-Pine
Tillandsia utriculata

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tillandsia (til-LAND-see-uh) (Info)
Species: utriculata (ur-trik-yoo-LAT-uh) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Green

Silver/Gray

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)

Daytona Beach, Florida

Vero Beach, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Kurtistown, Hawaii

On Dec 26, 2012, dennisraybrooks from Deltona, FL wrote:

I was fortunate to rescue this plant on Ebay. The type I have was reported to be named:
X-Large Tillandsia Utriculata Silver Air Plant

The plant is about 1 foot wide. It resides in a plastic bucket with drain holes. Unlike the previous posting, this plant has developed a seed stalk which is only about 8 inches long. It is white, not green, in color. The plant stalk is getting thicker but not taller.

I am in Central Florida (Deltona). It lives next to my pool which is screened in.

I don't know much about growing this type of plant. I am disabled and don't have interest in gathering seeds but I do want the plant to stay alive for a very very long time.

If I cut the stalk before it fully develops seeds, will it preserve this... read more

On Jul 31, 2007, EastFortMyers from Fort Myers, FL wrote:

I have no new information on this plant. At least I know the name thanks to this site. I have one on a branch that was cut down by FPL. I suspended it from a small chain and the plant did quite well. Around March it began to grow a stalk. It grew literally inches per day! The stalk grew to about 4' by june. Unfortuatly my Giant Pine appears to be dieing off. I read that the plant dies after blooming? Frogs like it and also saw a black snake wrapped around it before.

On Jan 25, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The Giant Airplant or Giant Wildpine (Tillandsia utriculata) is native to the cypress swamps, hammocks, pinelands, tree islands, sloughs, scrub, mangrove swamps, and many other similar natural habitats, both wet and dry, throughout central and southern Florida and the Keys (zones 9a through 11), from north-central Florida southward throughout the central and southern counties. It is one of the largest species of bromeliads in Florida and can get quite large in the wild as a mature specimen, sometimes reaching as wide as 2 or 3 feet. Usually it is less than 1 foot wide or 1 to 2 feet wide. The green flower spike is tall and large, but may seem inconspicuous against a natural background in the wild where this plant is found growing, such as one the trunks and branches of trees. Because of th... read more

On Jun 5, 2004, TamiMcNally from Lake Placid, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Endangered as a result of the Mexican bromeliad weevil attack. These Tillandsias were common before the attack.