PlantFiles: Cane Begonia, Angel Wing Begonia
Begonia coccinea

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)

» View all varieties of Begonias

Classification:
Cane-like

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By grikdog

Thumbnail #6 of Begonia coccinea by Monocromatico

By htop
Thumbnail #7 of Begonia coccinea by htop

Positive annsrose On May 3, 2014, annsrose from Spring, TX wrote:

I have had my angel wing begonia for years growing in a pot at the bottom of my hot house . I will take cuttings from it and make a hanging basket , but the main pot stays in the hot house and does very well . It is getting tall and leggy so I really need to do something with it .. Probably need to just make a new pot with it .

Positive mtbud2 On Dec 8, 2011, mtbud2 from Helena Valley Northwest, MT wrote:

I received this plant about 3 years ago, it was already a few feet tall. I have planted about 6 clippings from it in the last year or so. I have it inside and it loves the North window. (I had originally had it placed in front of a west window where it grew a lot) Mine seems to blossom more in the winter months (I am from Montana) Nov and Dec. Right now I have 6 blossom bunches with more coming soon. I don't fertilize it just water it once a week or once every couple of weeks and it still thrives!

Positive GeoFan49 On Sep 1, 2011, GeoFan49 from Los Altos, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This Wikipedia article needs help from a begonia expert or enthusiast... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_wing_begonia

Positive ShirleyLuStudio On Apr 30, 2010, ShirleyLuStudio from Virginia Beach, VA wrote:

I have my angel wing for about 11 years. It does well by the window with a lot of filter sun. I moved to Virginia Beach couple years ago. It also do well outside during summer with morning light (till about 1pm)
My angel wing bloom all year long, in the winter bloom less, but still blooming. I do light fertilized them every time I water the plant. Use reg. household plant food.

Positive moreys_son On Apr 23, 2010, moreys_son from Costa Mesa, CA wrote:

I received a cutting from an Escondido,California lady in 1976. This original plant has been repotted only once in the ensuing 33 years! It is happy in a root bound state, is kept moist in the summer and very sparsely watered in the winter here in the Anaheim and Costa Mesa areas. The plant is fed sparingly and prefers a well drained soil. When canes turn dark brown and die, they are removed to the ground surface. Many new plants have been started from cuttings. Both from setting them in moist potting soil and also by suspending them in a bottle of water. This plant has silver spots on the top of the leaves and the underside is green in color. Canes grow to a height of about 4 to 5 feet and last for two seasons before they die, being replaced by new canes. Edges of leaves are not serrated as in some specimens. The plant has been placed in planting beds and does best in a sheltered location with bright shade, but no direct sun. A stunning and marvelous plant when flowering (pink) which occurs spring through late summer. Generally pest free but white flies do infest, but they are easily washed off.

Positive lilspirit1941 On Feb 21, 2010, lilspirit1941 from Council Bluffs, IA wrote:

my neighbor gave me a cutting last summer(could not grow it in calif,when i lived there)and decided to try it again,not having much faith in it or me.i just stuck it in water and the darn thing rooted and so i put it in an east window and the dum thing had grown to 15 inches(from 3 inches)and nonstop blooms.it is fantastic,i love it .now i'm trying new ones ,like rex,and trailing-scandent.hey what can i say i'm a plant nut.luv it.

Positive crazedredhead On Dec 15, 2009, crazedredhead from Lancaster, OH wrote:

this is my first angel wing, given to me by a member of my garden club whose mother gave it to her. now, it's doing great, inside for th e winter for zone 5. but, here is a question. some of the parts of the plant have spotted leaves, and others have plain green leaves. do i have 2 different species? or are the spotted leaves just intermittent? it's actually growing since i brought it in, and has put a 6 inch stalk up. let me know if you want seeds or cuttings. i wont be sending cuttings till after may 15, which is our freeze date. no sense in freezing the babies. LOL.
mary

Positive DMgardener On Dec 1, 2009, DMgardener from (Daniel) Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I received this as a gift 3 years ago. I rooted it in water(BTW, It was the light green, pink flowered one), and potted it. It spent the Summer in the glassed in-porch, and grew and grew and GREW! By the time Fall arrived, I counted 16(!) stalks! And do you know what I did? At the yard sale the next spring, a nice lady from down the street offered $2 for it. And I accepted it!! Not knowing that this is one of the nicest plants in cultivation now, silly me! ANYBODY who has a a cutting to share, Mail me.

Positive begoniacrazii On Sep 2, 2008, begoniacrazii from Northern California, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Begonia coccinea is a species begonia discovered in Brazil in 1841. Many hybrids have been produced using it as a parent. I can be best described as having thick, leathery, solid bright-green leaves with a soft sheen and bright red flowers. (the specific epithet means Begonia with red flowers). Variants in flower color include dark pink and deep coral/salmon.
B. coccinea does not have spots or splotches on the leaves as they are solid in color. The plant can top 15' with the right growing conditions.

Positive lauraroxie On Apr 20, 2008, lauraroxie from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

This plant is listed as a 10a, but it seems to do quite nicely in 9b Saint Petersburg, FL. We had one cold night down to 26 degrees this winter and it showed no damage.

Positive WolfsPride On Apr 17, 2007, WolfsPride from Wilson, NY wrote:

I have had my Angels Wing for quite a few years now. The Original was grown from my Grandmother back in the 60s and each family member has a piece. At first I almost killed the poor thing from over watering it but quickly got the hang of it. I have mine in my office facing East and it does great. It only blooms twice a year for me but not bad for a guy huh?

Positive Pashta On Nov 23, 2005, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

When I bought this plant it was nearly dead and looked pitiful. I had it in an apartment with bright ambient light for a year, and it grew a little, but nothing spectacular. When I moved, I put it out in the front yard, still potted, and to my horror the stems turned bright red and the leaves scorched. I moved it to the porch, where it still got alot of sun, but not as much direct during the day. It EXPLODED! It bloomed like a madman and got HUGE! This was 6 months ago and it still has big groups of blooms! All I need to do is keep the spider mites from killing it off, and I will be set. It is absolutely stunning.

Positive ZZsBabiez On Oct 16, 2005, ZZsBabiez from Lodi, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have a huge Angel Wing Begonia that was given to me by the sweetest old Southern woman whom I loved dearly and has since passed. She had the plant for ages, and said her 'li'l angels' would watch over us. I've had this plant for 12 years, and only now realize what a prize I have. I have it located in filtered sunlight or the leaves scorch. It also seems to damage leaves if it gets too much wind. I have cut it back to 6" when it was damaged by frost and it came back just fine.

This year it bloomed with clusters the size of a cantaloupe and they were a beautiful pink/salmon color. I don't know what I did differently to deserve such an awesome bloom, but I'm so very thankful for it! I'm a new member here, and truly regret not getting pictures of this amazing bloom to share. You can bet I won't miss an opportunity again!

Positive grikdog On Aug 23, 2005, grikdog from St. Paul, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I grow this as a houseplant. It is a very good houseplant and tolerates bad light and neglect. It is a lovely plant.

Positive Leeerma On Jul 2, 2005, Leeerma from Lanett, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I once had this plant in my breakfast room, I have long double windows and it just went crazy, but, had few blooms.
I love this plant.

Positive mrmcoy On Apr 23, 2004, mrmcoy from Seattle, WA wrote:

I love these plants-in all of their various incarnations. Some rarely flower and some are really floriferous when they get started or reach maturity. It all depends on the variety. There is one that I have heard referred to as 'trout leaf begonia'--reddish tinged with silvery spots and beige-ish flowers (when they arrive)-- that is SMASHING--just really a lovely plant. The old standard 'Lucerne' is one of these, I believe. With bright green leaves and pink flowers in their juvenile form, these are fabulous container plants for the garden.

Start cuttings in the spring and set them out for the summer--just great stuff! I set several cuttings in a medium size pot or hanging basket and pinch the heck out of them--really nice. But, if you put just a couple cuttings in a pot and grow them on as a specimen plant, transplanting them as necessary, up to...say a 12" pot (they favor clay), they are tall, rangy, and VERY dependable!

I had one that was nearly 10 years old. It sat at the back of a grouping of plants in a corner receiving very bright, but not direct sun. The other plants filled out the base, as the begonia was nearly 9 ft. tall, but it just bloomed and bloomed! It was a total mess underneath all of those pots and it took alot of cleanup, but it was very eye catching--non stop bloom!--high marks from me!

Ive always found it very interesting to observe how different the juvenile form (low and bushy, responds to pinching) differs from the adult form (when they really display their name-sake characteristic "cane begonias" i.e. tall, rangy, producing these stiff, upright 'canes'). It's fun to have a plant around that 'grows up'!

Positive macyle On Sep 29, 2003, macyle wrote:

I have had mine for about 4 years now. The person I got it from has never gotten hers to bloom and it stands about 5-6 foot tall. Mine if around 3 foot right now and for the past year and half since I moved back to Northern Nevada it has bloomed about once ever 2-4 weeks. It sits on the kitchen table or the picture window in my house and gets a good amount of afternoon light. The blooms have seemed to always come the side facing the sun as it is setting. My flower bunches have been around 4-6" in diameter and varying in color across the bunch itself. They go from soft pink to almost blood red in the same bunch.

Positive suncatcheracres On Sep 5, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

This plant can get quite large here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b--I've seen them as tall as five feet--and the constantly falling flowers can become a nusiance when it has to be overwintered indoors, as it does here. It makes an attractive plant for the winter greenhouse, where the falling flowers aren't really a problem, and during the summer it loves a mostly shady spot outdoors, especially near a pond.

My Mother grew these plants for years, both in New Orleans and on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, giving away many cuttings. She was constantly pruning them and rooting the cuttings in water at the window above the kitchen sink, where they got lots of humidity, and the constantly falling flowers were easily cleaned up. Both my Mother's and my Angelwings always bloomed profusely during the warm weather, and I've read some are everblooming. I fertilize with regular houseplant fertilizer--a little bit every time I water--usually Miracle Gro liquid. Tall plants will need staking and should be protected from wind.

I've grown the brightly colored, red-flowered, 'Dragon' series, with shiny, light-green leaves, and am now rooting some cuttings of the old fashioned, dark-green leaf type with silver spots, and pale, shell-pink flowers--quite delicate looking, but really a very sturdy plant. These plants do require constant maintenance, but their beauty and persistent flowering make all the attention they take worth it for me.

Positive JadesEmerald On Sep 5, 2003, JadesEmerald from Arvada, CO wrote:

I received my cuttings about 2 years ago from a friend, whose plant is well over 100 years. I have only got it to bloom once since having it. And it bloomed in the winter time here in CO. The flowers are small, and can be easlily over-looked. But I used Miracle-Grow as a fertilizer for it. I am not sure if it likes to be root-bound, but since the plant has bloomed, I haven't gotten it to bloom again. And I am sure that it has out-grown it's space in the pot.

Negative jkogle On Jun 29, 2003, jkogle wrote:

I can't get my Angel Wing to flower. I've had it for about a year, and now that it is getting warmer, it has gotten much larger, but still no flowers. I live the the Seattle area, and place the plant in front of a window. Perhaps it needs more sun.

Positive tsue42 On Jun 24, 2003, tsue42 from La Marque, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I received a cutting of Angel Wing Begonia or should I say a couple of leaves last summer. It is now growing profusely and has beautiful blooms hanging in clusters around it.....very easy to grow and its foliage is really attractive. The plant is now about 12-14 inches high. Loves full sun.....the cutting was from my neighbor and she had the plant in an old styrofoam cooler and it had been growing in there for years. By the way I live right on the coast in Texas (Galveston) and it loves the humidity and heat.

Positive creasilk On Jun 23, 2003, creasilk from Riverdale, GA wrote:

I have had Begonia coccinea 'Lucerna' for over 27 years. I have given pieces of the "mother" plant to more people than I can remember. My plant was given to me as a young plant by a friend who was moving to Georgia; my friend said it didn't grow, but I started feeding it eggshell water and it took off.

I love this plant as I do all my other plants, but I'm worried about the mother plant because I've had to re-pot it when the original rootball became brittle and [the roots began] breaking off. I'm rooting it in water for which I've had excellent results in the past.

Positive sclarke On Jan 12, 2003, sclarke from Macungie, PA wrote:

I love my Begonias (Rex and Angel Wing) so much that a design I made incorporating the leaf shape and patterning will one day soon be tattooed onto my back as my wings. Sick and true :) sarah

Neutral karencordova On Mar 28, 2002, karencordova wrote:

The variety Begonia coccinea 'Lucerna' has large asymetrical leaves with a smattering of silver drops on a dark green wide leaf (4" by 6-8") with a darkish pink underside.

Auburn, Alabama
Bokeelia, Florida
Brooksville, Florida
Lakeland, Florida
Orange Park, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Punta Gorda, Florida
Matthews, North Carolina
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Lancaster, Ohio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania