Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Valentine'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Valentine
Additional cultivar information:(PP1029)
Hybridized by Swim
Registered or introduced: 1951

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Medium red (mr)

Shrub

Patent expired

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Rowlett, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

Victoria, Texas

On Mar 19, 2014, rkmontg342 from Sugar Land, TX wrote:

We bought several Valentine rose bushes from the Antique Rose Emporium over five years ago. They are planted on one side of our front yard, in a corner near our fence and against the brick wall of our neighbor's house. So, basically, protected on 2 sides during the winter from winds. They get plenty of sun. They need minimal care. They have blooms almost all the time. Even in the winter. Even if there is icy weather. Or, an occasional snow. They get the warmth radiating off the brick wall from the sunshine during the winter. Which helps, too. They are beautiful.

On Aug 14, 2012, shopshops from Joshua, TX wrote:

Received this rose from a friend for birthday number 40! I had seen that the Antique Rose Emporium sells this as a container rose. I put mine in a container in potting mix and my favourite slow rlease fertilizer in the pink bottle. I planted this in April and I was not disappointed! She took off like a rocket with the most beautiful red blooms. Pink is my rose colour of choice, but I can appreciate this beautiful shade of red.

Even in the mid summer here in North Texas, she is covered in blooms. They are smaller than the spring blooms, but gorgeous never the less. This plant has been covered in roses since April. I truly love this rose . She thrives well in her container with twice weekly watering. I placed her in my East facing garden, because I know red roses can fry in ... read more

On Feb 13, 2012, gardengirl86 from Middleboro, MA wrote:

I have a friend who has this plant and it performs beautifully. She lives in an area that is not bothered by deer. Deer travel through my yard on nearly a daily basis. My question is, will the deer eat this variety of rose? Everyone says that deer will not eat roses, but they have decimated my rose bushes all the way to the ground for the past 5 years. I would like to grow this plant, but it would break my heart to see it all chewed to bits each year.

On May 9, 2011, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Very easy to grow and a heavy bloomer. It has the longest lasting blossoms on the bush of any rose I grow, often lasting up to two weeks and more. Its small size makes it great for containers or areas where you don't want a large, thorny rose. I grow it next to my mailbox on the street. Won't disappoint.

On Mar 25, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Plant Patent 1029 has expired.

On Feb 21, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

From Countrysideroses.com
Valentine
Class: Floribunda
Bloom: Deep red
Size: 2 - 3 ft. tall
Introduced: Swim, 1951
One of our best floribundas. Valentine is a healthy 3-ft. shrub with weighty clusters of dark velvety-red roses repeating all season. The flowers have little fragrance, but this rose really knows how to perform and adds superb color to a garden. This rose was grown by my Grandmother, and we all agree that '"Grandma's know roses!"

From AntiqueRoseEmporium.com
Valentine
SHRUB ROSE
Floribunda
1951
Valentines long pointed buds open to velvety, semi-double flowers of rich scarlet that can be 3 or 4 inches across on a mature plant. The nearly thornless bush is slightly open. The f... read more

On Aug 17, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred and introduced in the United States.

Parentage: